Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
sahhjozz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Pumping Mama Problems!

I have a great supply, but I work FT and have such a hard time pumping anywhere near enough. I have talked to lots of pumping Mamas and a Lactation Consultant and have tried all of their suggestions but things aren't improving. Any "outside of the box" suggestions?

Advertisement

sahhjozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How old is your baby, how many/what size bottles does he take at daycare? What are you able to pump on your days off and what is in your freezer? Sorry for all the questions :-) I have been both a pumping mama and a dcp for a bf baby, so I may have a creative solution.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
sahhjozz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Pumping Mama Problems!

My daughter is 6 1/2 months, and the bottles vary from one day to another, but she typically takes about 15 ounces a day. She's starting on solids (BLW) and some days she is more interested in food and less interested in bottles, but other days she wants the milky all day! Her bottles are generally about 4 ounces each, but sometimes she only drinks 3 ounces and sometimes she begs for more and drinks another ounce. She is with a babysitter who BFs her toddler, and is very understanding of the trouble I have so she works with me and my daughter to make sure my daughter isn't just drinking bottles because she is bored or misses me. I am pumping 11 ounces during the day at work, and try hard to make up the rest at home at night but it's tough with nursing her and all of the other stuff I have to get done to prepare for the next day. On the weekends I can usually get 4 ounces a day. I have about 180 ounces in the freezer, but that was 250 not long ago and it's going down quickly so I don't want to lean on having it because it won't last forever. I appreciate any suggestions you can offer
Old 07-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Sorry so you have done the cookies, meds-prescribed and otc, more pumping, massaging when nursing and pumping, heat.

When you say that your sitter is understanding ...means?

Mil would breastfeed kids she had as well as hers that were nursing at that time.

Then you could help keep stash up if your sitter would nurse yours some as well like on the days yours wants more milk.

Do you pump through one let down or more let downs?

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 07-08-2014 at 09:49 PM.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
sahhjozz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Tried everything except prescription meds. I don't have a supply problem so I don't think taking meds is a good choice. It's just pumping that is a problem. When I am home with her for the weekends and days off the milk flows freely all day. My body just isn't responding to the pump well.
My babysitter is understanding of my pumping issues and makes sure that my daughter isn't overeating. My mom gives her a bottle every time she cries rather than trying to soothe her, whereas my sitter knows that a bottle isn't always the solution and keeps her entertained so she isn't eating out of boredom.
I have nothing against wet nurses, but it's not something I want to do right now. I have plenty of milk, I just have a hard time getting out when I'm at work. As a last resort, I would ask my sitter to nurse her, and I know she would be willing, but that's not the direction I want to go in if I can avoid it.
I pump through two let downs most times. If I switch the cycle after 10-12 minutes I generally get a second, but it's short lasting and usually only gets me another 1/2 ounce.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can you pump more in the mornings before you go to work? The body usually produces the most milk in the mornings and least in the evenings. Eating oatmeal and oatmeal cookies may help as well.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
theriviera
Registered Users

Have you tried different flanges? I really like pumpin pals. You can order a set from Amazon and then see which one gives you the best output. You could also try renting a hospital grade pump.

Good luck! I know how hard it is.
theriviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
What pump so you Have? Flanges might brew soon nothing to look at too as I didnt know what with my oldest and that might have helped me to have known
Old 07-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
theriviera
Registered Users

Power pumping has been helpful. 10 min on, 10 min off. Repeat at least 2 cycles
theriviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
RNmom926
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would try eating a bug bowl of oatmeal on days that you work. Make sure you are staying hydrated. Maybe try a different size flange - I used a size small on the left and medium on the right . I also changed out the filters and tubing frequently. I tried looking at pictures of her while pumping but found that I was "thinking" too hard! I ending up finding I pumped much more reading a book or playing a game on my cell phone. I also could get another 1-1.5oz with hand expression. If you've never hand expressed before - try watching a YouTube video on it to make sure you are doing it properly.
RNmom926 is offline   Reply With Quote