Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2014, 01:50 AM   #11
Ophelialove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How did you first learn about breastfeeding (before kids)?

I saw it a few times growing up with aunts or whoever...but rarely. My mom didn't. I truly learned about it trying to defend myself (in my own mind) for why it wasn't "necessary". LOL I research things by my nature & I didn't want to do it, therefore I was going to learn everything I could to be able to feel solid about opting not to.

I've been nursing now for 88 months straight....Oy. (not a typo)

Goes to show what a little research can do.

I also think people OFTEN mistake me for being closed minded because I feel so certain of so many of my choices, but if they knew me, they'd know I am very open to being wrong & changing my stance. The "problem" with me is I research everything to death, so by the time most people are having the conversation with me, I've spent 4000 hours finding my opinion. I try not to talk about things I don't know about...

I've made sooo many parenting choices that were different than I'd thought they would be based on the nursing thing. I am thankful for how eye opening it has been. I figured if I could be that wrong about that - I better rethink every other parenting thing I assumed I knew my opinion on & look at both sides of every decision a bit more carefully & objectively.

Advertisement

Ophelialove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
Buffalobarb
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mom breastfeed 4 girls in the late 60's and early 70's when breastfeeding wasn't encouraged. I am so proud of her for doing that when society as a whole wasn't supportive. And I am sure she could not have afforded formula. And as a older mom I have seen all my friends breastfeed. Like minded people seem to find each other.
Buffalobarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
kharriss
Registered Users

Took a class at the local hospital. It was very informative and probably the best "before baby" class I took. My husband even learned quite a bit from it and would help me out when I was having problems in the beginning.
kharriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #14
Momma Mandy
Registered Users

My mom breastfed both me and my younger brother. She went to La Leche League meetings and has been a huge breastfeeding proponent my entire life. I never thought twice about breastfeeding. I just knew it was something I was going to do. My babe is 8-months-old and we are still going strong. And now I'm the one going to La Leche League meetings!
Momma Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #15
ghettobuggie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom breast fed my brother & I, did not see many mothers breast feeding in public growing up though, but it's pretty normal nowadays. We learn that the breast is the best nutrition in school, so when I finally got pregnant with my first it was the only option in my mind
ghettobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #16
xkimberlyrenee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom. She told me about it and I probably would've assumed that I should do formula if it weren't for her. After she told me all about it and the benefits, I never thought twice about it. Breastfeeding was the way to go.
xkimberlyrenee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #17
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

My parents had a bunch of children and my mom breastfed all of us so it was a perfectly natural and normal thing for me. (Plus I also knew that breastfeeding was not a form of birth control LOL). I grew up around that and natural childbirth as all of us were born without drugs and she also taught natural childbirth classes and a was a lay midwife. Also cloth diapering and responsive/instinctive parenting.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #18
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
We have falls come before baby congress to lll meetings.

I saw my cousin do it when I was little but I tried taking all classes with my oldest and breastfeeding class was one, cpr, la maz...
Old 07-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #19
Christine C
Registered Users

My mom breastfed her 5 daughters me being the oldest, so I learned through watching her. But I was so young when she was breastfeeding my sisters that I didn't know about any of the struggles of breastfeeding until after I started the journey with my son.
Christine C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:48 AM   #20
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe the Bible...

But it's also very typical to bf in my family. It's weird, but I thought every new mom breastfed their babies. Up until I wanted to have a baby of my own at 28 years old (I was very pro-child-free lifestyle until then), I honestly had no idea so many moms chose formula because they had trouble breastfeeding. Really, the whole breastfeeding issue and complications with was completely novel to me until I got pregnant. I never even knew some people were disgusted by it.
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote