Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

Naptime/Bedtime BFing troubles

DS is 4 months and for the last week has been refusing the breast before bedtime and sometimes before naps, despite acting very hungry. Bedtime has turned into a 1-2 hour battle that I'm losing. He generally will latch on, suck for a few seconds, then start fussing, writhing, kicking & crying. For bedtime I essentially have to rock him to sleep with his pacifier in, then breastfeed him when he's asleep or when he wakes up 30 minutes later. One day I threw in the towel after 2 hours and had DH give him a bottle and he was out almost immediately.

He's also started refusing the breast during the day. His best feedings are directly after a nap, sleeping or in the middle of the night.

He's done this in the past, but I thought I'd figured out why (overtired or overactive let down) and I thought I'd found a solution by having a better nap routine and trying to read his cues better. I aimed to feed him & put him down before he was overly hungry or tired. Around 2 hours of awake time between naps.

Anyway, these last couple weeks I've tried more naps w/ less time and then less naps w/more time, more time between last nap and bedtime and less time, etc, etc. I think it must be due to being overtired, but I just can't figure him out! The last couple days he doesn't eat well when he's woken up for the day (distracted, working on a bm) and today he started getting really cranky and acting tired only an hour after being awake!

I mentioned to someone in my congregation who's an LC my problem and she said he's probably just tired and holding out for a bottle. It's just frustrating that he does this so soon after a full night's sleep (9pm-8:30am, with 3 feedings). DS does get one bottle a day, but it's in the middle of the night at a time when he nurses just fine. (And DH said this morning it was like he wanted the breast, not the bottle, go figure!)

Is this just a phase? Has anyone else had this problem? Do I need to eliminate bottles? I'm wondering if it's just related to a growth spurt. He did have a sleep regression at the same time, but I attributed it to his poor feeding before bed. Plus he slept the most he ever has last night, but still had the same feeding issues. Maybe it's more about not knowing how to go to sleep on his own, I don't know...

Anyway, I think I mostly wanted to vent. Every time I think I've got the hang of things the game is changed.

Advertisement

Last edited by apeeling; 07-14-2014 at 01:36 PM.
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

Re: Naptime/Bedtime BFing troubles

Alright, I got him to breastfeed lying down, so success.
I'm sure it's a phase and he'll prefer a different position next week.
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
bhunt479
Registered Users
seller

I don't have any advice for you, but I'm in the same boat with my 4 mos dd who is acting up at the breast too, and starting to refuse a bottle. I think they must go through several growth spurts this month as I notice a lot of developmental changes with her, things are moving so fast now! And they have much more opinions and preferences, it is definitely hard to read the cues. I am waiting for the sleep regression next!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
ghettobuggie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have not experienced this problem with my little guy (yet anyways), just wanted to offer some words of encouragement...keep up the good work mamma, one day at a time
ghettobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:45 AM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I have to side by side at every nap and bed time and that is to let me get up and do things. My boy is worse when he is teething... on and off all the time but mine won't take a bottle.

I think it just depends on events of the day and sometimes just phases.