Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Question about sterilizing pump

I have a hand pump and only use it occasionally, when DS has skipped a feeding or whatever. Less than once a week. It got the same use with DD. It just occurred to me that I haven't sterilized the pump since I first bought it with DD (my 3-year-old). I've washed it many many times since then, obviously, but just in hot soapy water, but no boiling or dishwasher.

I have a few oz of milk in the freezer just in case of an emergency. Will that milk be okay to use since the pump hadn't been sterilized in awhile? Or should I toss it? I feel like it's just fine but wanted to check with the experts! DS is two months if it matters.

Advertisement

Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Question about sterilizing pump

Umm, my pump has maybe been sterilized once, like when I took it out of the box. I always clean it well or throw it in the dishwasher. The milk goes straight in the freezer or fridge in new storage bags so I don't worry about it.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
Umm, my pump has maybe been sterilized once, like when I took it out of the box. I always clean it well or throw it in the dishwasher. The milk goes straight in the freezer or fridge in new storage bags so I don't worry about it.
Same here. And I really didn't think anything of it until I read something about how often WOHMs should sterilize theirs and got to thinking that maybe I should sterilize more than once in 3 years. Glad to know your child has survived thus far!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #4
ghettobuggie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also only sterilized a couple times while using my pump, too late now I guess!
ghettobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
Maplecat
Registered Users
seller

Going through the dishwasher sterilizes it. Unless you have a pre-term or medically fragile baby, I wouldn't sweat it.
Maplecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
girlloregirl
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't worry about it either. Boiling to steralize the pump accessories actually made them cloudy and made the tubing moist throughout.
girlloregirl is offline   Reply With Quote