Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #11
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Re: Donating Freezer Stash

My LO just came home from NICU today! They talked to me a lot about donating milk because they sent us home with two coolers full of milk. They said they screen the moms, do blood tests and then the milk is pasteurized before being sent to the babies receiving the milk because the mom could have a virus or sickness and be asymptomatic for a time and still pumping before finding out you're sick.. Which may or may no be dangerous depending on why the baby needs the milk... So I'd be really careful about casual donations.

ISO: size small pocket diapers (10-17lb range), suede cloth, snaps.
IHA: Crunchy kissa size 0, poly fleece, girly/ gn baby legs, maternity clothes size medium/ large, bamboo belly bandit (small), gdiapers and pouches, osocozy size 1 prefolds.

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 02:08 AM   #12
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

i donated to helping hands milk bank and just a note from ob and ped saying that I wasn't going to stave my baby in donating was really it besides the blood work. I just sent it and it was all prepaid shipping.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
birdhouse
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomama2005 View Post
My LO just came home from NICU today! They talked to me a lot about donating milk because they sent us home with two coolers full of milk. They said they screen the moms, do blood tests and then the milk is pasteurized before being sent to the babies receiving the milk because the mom could have a virus or sickness and be asymptomatic for a time and still pumping before finding out you're sick.. Which may or may no be dangerous depending on why the baby needs the milk... So I'd be really careful about casual donations.
Congratulations on coming home!!!

This is exactly why casual donation scares me ... I know a lot of people do it and it's fine, but I am a worrier...

Anyway, now that my LO is 5 months and all this milk is going to expire soon if I don't do something with it, I've connected with an HMBANA (https://www.hmbana.org/) milk bank and have started that process. Apparently some other milk banks use donated milk to make human milk fortifier (which we had a bad experience with in the NICU) or sell it to formula companies and stuff and HMBANA ones always just go to babies - after being pasteurized and tested.

It's mostly just forms to fill out - the only thing that's a pain is the place they want me to do labwork (if they're going to pay for it) is an hour away so that just kind of sucks.
birdhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
mommy2Lex&Pay
Registered Users
seller

Just keep a small stash for yourself. Look up Human milk for human babies or eats on feet.
mommy2Lex&Pay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
superbeans
Registered Users
seller

It is more important that it's pasteurized for NICU babies, it isn't as big of a deal for healthy babies with strong immune systems.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
mamaree14
Registered Users

Looking into this now, too. Thanks for posting!
mamaree14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #17
birdhouse
Registered Users

I finally counted up all of mine - it's 365 oz from the first very hard 8 weeks. It's going to be so nice to just let go of it all!
birdhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
erikamichele
Registered Users

I am afraid to donate as well!! I get scared that i might dry up!! my fridge has 500 ounces of milk though and i finally made the plunge and went to human milk 4 human babies on Facebook and found a local momma in need to donate to!
erikamichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:09 AM   #19
ottomamma
Registered Users
seller

Always wonderful to hear about mamas donating! It's such a blessing to those of us who need it. My baby was also in the nicu (for 8 weeks) but despite pumping constantly, as well as taking More Milk Plus, Goats Rue, GoLacta, and placenta capsules, drinking tons of water and eating tons of oatmeal... I made about 8 oz total over 13 days and then was completely dry. Since my baby couldn't really eat for a while (mostly IVs at the beginning) I actually fed him on just my milk for the first 3 weeks. After that he got 5 weeks of hospital provided donor milk. He came home to a full freezer of milk generously donated by a couple very dear friends. During the next 10 months he drank over 4,000 oz of donated milk! Thank you to anyone who donates, whether to friends or strangers, hospitals or individuals. It's a blessing to those who receive. <3
ottomamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #20
FrancyPants
Registered Users

Wow, I'd not heard about human milk for human babies before. I have half of an upright freezer full of milk that I'm sure we will never use. I had looked into donating through a milk bank but they said they won't accept since I take thyroid meds which I think is silly, but its their rules. And good for you other ladies for helping out and donating.
FrancyPants is offline   Reply With Quote