Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Question Diaper rash help please!

I really need some advice! My 9 month old ds keeps getting diaper rash around his penis. To me it looks a little like eczema. It's really red all around his penis, on his scrotum, underneath there's a patch and in his bum crack it's really red. It's so itchy to him that every time I change him it drives him crazy and he starts crying and trying to rip his penis off. He tries to scratch while his diaper is on and his belly is full of scratch marks. I've tried so many things but just nothing seems to help. I tried natural cloth diaper safe remedies (corn starch, coconut oil, homemade diaper rash cream (shea butter, coconut oil, beeswax)) but none of that did anything. I've now had him in disposables on and off for a few months. I've tried Penaten, Zincofax and Sudocrem. None of those work, well they help a bit but as soon as I don't use them for a few changes it gets worse again. I use unscented hypoallergenic wipes and washcloths to wipe him and it can't be the detergent because I haven't had him in cloth in a while and it hasn't gotten better. Help please!!

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
risata
Registered Users
seller

Re: Diaper rash help please!

Have you treated like it's yeast? I would try an OTC antifungal cream. I wonder if it's something like jock itch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
FlyingMama
Registered Users
seller

Could it be the wipes? The hypoallergenic wipes gave my kids diaper rash and it took us awhile to figure it out.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would start w/ the otc antifungal cream, but if it's not yeast, it could be a food sensitivity. My DD1 had all kinds of food sensitivities as an infant/toddler that would cause diaper rash. Even still, possibly b/c she wears pull-ups at night, DD1 (4) gets rashes, specifically in her diaper area, if she eats red berries, figs, or raisins. It used to also include onions,chocolate, coconut milk, and a few other things. One of my twins gets a "crack rash" if I eat too many tomato poducts.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is he having loose stools? I would try to leave him open to air at nap time. I realize with little boys this could mean he paints the walls with pee but air can really help

I would also wash the area, gently, with soap and water a couple of times a day or so and dry well.

Since u have tried lots of things I would probably try less. I would also go back to cloth without a cover. Disposables are hotter and can lead to more skin issues.

A little sun on the area might help too. Can u take him outside naked?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
kanga1622
Registered Users

DS1 had some major contact dermatitis as well as other diaper rash stuff going on while potty training. The ONLY thing that really helped heal his skin was lanolin. We would put a fleece liner in his cloth diapers and put lanolin on especially overnight. It completely healed his skin after the steroid cream, antibiotic cream, and anti fungal creams did not.

His issue was mostly that his body doesn't like to have constant friction and the lanolin kept the pee from getting to irritated skin and reduced the friction. The derm and urologist were both surprised that lanolin solved all the issues.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 07-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
alilivi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree, it may be yeast. get something like monistat and try treating with that.
alilivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

It ended up being a yeast rash. The dr prescribed a combination of hydrocortisone cream and yeast cream. It seems to be getting better using the cream. I'm a little worried though that once I put him back in cloth diapers that it'll get worse again, because it seemed to get worse when wearing cloth.

Last edited by *TinyJoys*; 07-29-2014 at 09:14 AM.
*TinyJoys* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
risata
Registered Users
seller

Diaper rash help please!

Have you bleached your diapers? You need to do that to kill the yeast in them. Glad you figured out what it was, hope he gets some lasting relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk