Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: Vax schedule for older kids

The last time we took one of our boys in just for a shot for camp, the visit was free so no, with Tricare Standard you don't pay for vaccine only visits. It falls under well child care which is fully covered.

Advertisement

Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
thevetswife
Registered Users

If I were you in your situation, I would start with DTap and MMR, the reason being that measles and tetanus are still around in the US. As a previous poster said, PCV, Hib, Rotavirus are all for babies. Hep B can be skipped-I wasn't vaccinated until my 20's when I started working in a hospital. Same with Hep A though it can be a foodborne illness, so it's out there. Polio is almost eradicated worldwide, so that's a vaccine that can be gotten anytime, but I would do it eventually just because it's old, it's safe and polio is horrible-I want it to never come back. Varicella can wait, but I personally would vaccinate by age 10 if they hadn't had chickenpox.
DTap takes 5 injections I believe for a full series, so I'd start with that and MMR. Once the 2 MMR doses were finished, I'd add polio with the DTaP. With those 3 series done, it's really up to you how much further you want to go.
In the office where I worked, a vaccine was not charged as a doctor visit-just the cost of the shot & the injection fee. But check with the local health department, they will often do them free. Just be very insistent about exactly what you want and don't want.

Please don't take this as medical advice. I am a nurse, but I don't know your situation at all. That is just what I'd do if they were my kids. Good luck! They're going to hate doctors for a while.
thevetswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Your 7yo will only need 1 Tdap shot (no DTaP)
Your 4yo will need 4 DTaPs (no need for a 5th shot if the 4th shot is given after age 4)

Both will need 3 Polios (again, over age 4, they do not need the 4th polio).
Both will need 1 MMR, the younger one will need 2. Depending on international travel requirements, your older one may be required to get 2 even though kids over 6 only need 1.

Hep B and Hep A may or may not be required. If required, both kids will need 3 Hep Bs (first 2 at least 1 mth apart, shots 2 and 3 must be 4 or 6 mths later, but I can't remember which right now). If required, they will need 2 Hep As (I believe the requirement is 6 mths apart, but could be shorter)

The US and Canada are basically the only parts of the world that vaccinate for chickenpox, so if its not required for travel, you can be assured your kids will be exposed and will get the disease while abroad, but if it is required for travel, you will have to get them both 2 shots.

HiB and Prevnar are not necessary. They are past the danger age and are probably not required. If they are required, 1 shot of each will complete the series at your children's ages.

Your children are too old and cannot be vaccinated for Rotovirus.

Do you know which vaccines are required to be stationed at an international base?

I am only comfortable with 1 shot at a time, only when fully well, and with at least 1 month between any shots.

As a result, my kids get their shots very slowly, over a long period of time. I'm not in a hurry though. I could go in more often if I wanted to by going in every month and overlapping series (DTaP one month, Polio the next, etc).

In your case, I'd count up the total number of shots required, then look at the length of each series. Lay out a schedule that gets it done in the least amount of time. Go in each month for a shot-only visit. Get just 1 shot. Start with the longest series with a same/different shot each month until they are all done.

For example: (each shot is its own month, and is based on my memory, so may not be spaced correctly - I did not include HiB or Prevnar, but did include 2 MMRs and 2 Varicellas - this schedule would take 15 mths)
HepB1 - DTaP1 - HepB2 - HepA1 - Polio1 - DTaP2 - MMR1 - Polio2 - VZV1 - DTaP 3 - HepB3 - HepA2 - MMR2 - Polio3 - VZV2

Last edited by lanwenyi; 07-24-2014 at 04:26 PM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
We've been on Standard in the past to have better peds, so I've thought about it. I'm mainly concerned about cost at this point; I have three highly active boys. Would I have to pay for each visit to get vaccinations? I really need to look into it more.
Great advice already - most doctor's offices will do "Shot Only" visits, as long as their regular checkups are up to date. At a regular appointment, you plan with the doctor what vaccines are needed and when you plan to start. Probably would get the first at that appointment. Then, you may or may not have to make a specific appointment for the remaining shots. Often, it's just a phone call to ask if you can come in for a "Shot Only" visit that day, and tell them which shots you're planning to get that day. When a nurse is available, you're called back to an exam room and get the shots. Depending on your insurance plan, there may be no charge. Many don't charge a fee for children's immunizations. If there is a charge, it would only be for the shot itself, not an office visit co-pay.

As far as which to begin with, ask you doctor's opinion. Usually, they will suggest starting with the ones that are most risky for your children or community. As previously mentioned, TDaP or DTaP and MMR will probably be the ones suggested.

If you haven't read Dr. Sears' The Vaccine Book yet, it's worth it - great discussion on spacing out shots (generally about a month for shots containing aluminum), risks, etc.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #15
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Just to say I don't like those combined shots either and I hope you can find something you can live with.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:05 AM   #16
littlewoolybaby
Registered Users

Not sure about scheduling but make sure to get an international standard yellow vaccine card filled out. I had to get revacccinated for a whole bunch of things during my first move outside canada because the records I had were different than the requirements. Not fun.
littlewoolybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 AM   #17
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwenyi View Post
Your 7yo will only need 1 Tdap shot (no DTaP)
Your 4yo will need 4 DTaPs (no need for a 5th shot if the 4th shot is given after age 4)

Both will need 3 Polios (again, over age 4, they do not need the 4th polio).
Both will need 1 MMR, the younger one will need 2. Depending on international travel requirements, your older one may be required to get 2 even though kids over 6 only need 1.

Hep B and Hep A may or may not be required. If required, both kids will need 3 Hep Bs (first 2 at least 1 mth apart, shots 2 and 3 must be 4 or 6 mths later, but I can't remember which right now). If required, they will need 2 Hep As (I believe the requirement is 6 mths apart, but could be shorter)

The US and Canada are basically the only parts of the world that vaccinate for chickenpox, so if its not required for travel, you can be assured your kids will be exposed and will get the disease while abroad, but if it is required for travel, you will have to get them both 2 shots.

HiB and Prevnar are not necessary. They are past the danger age and are probably not required. If they are required, 1 shot of each will complete the series at your children's ages.

Your children are too old and cannot be vaccinated for Rotovirus.

Do you know which vaccines are required to be stationed at an international base?

I am only comfortable with 1 shot at a time, only when fully well, and with at least 1 month between any shots.

As a result, my kids get their shots very slowly, over a long period of time. I'm not in a hurry though. I could go in more often if I wanted to by going in every month and overlapping series (DTaP one month, Polio the next, etc).

In your case, I'd count up the total number of shots required, then look at the length of each series. Lay out a schedule that gets it done in the least amount of time. Go in each month for a shot-only visit. Get just 1 shot. Start with the longest series with a same/different shot each month until they are all done.

For example: (each shot is its own month, and is based on my memory, so may not be spaced correctly - I did not include HiB or Prevnar, but did include 2 MMRs and 2 Varicellas - this schedule would take 15 mths)
HepB1 - DTaP1 - HepB2 - HepA1 - Polio1 - DTaP2 - MMR1 - Polio2 - VZV1 - DTaP 3 - HepB3 - HepA2 - MMR2 - Polio3 - VZV2
How did you come up with the only one shot per month schedule? I let my 15 mo old fall behind on her shots as well :-/ they wanted to do 4 at a time to "Get it over with" and I said absolutely not just one at a time and so the doc wanted to do one a week.. And I said to wait two weeks but maybe will switch it to a month. She only needs 6shots to be caught up tho.