Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sleep Training or Nursing Alll Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannorie85 View Post
The nursing question is very interesting. I know her sleep is not an isolated event and since we do nurse a lot it probably plays into our struggle. Like we nurse a LOT more than 4 times. I just don't know how else to get her to sleep so I feed her one side when she wakes up and one side when she goes to sleep. How can I be sure that she is getting full and not just bobbing off?

Last night I started a mini trial run because if I'm going to think about sleep training, I'd rather ease her into it as gently as possible. I decided no more nursing while laying down. Recently her new thing has been when I lay her back down or roll away after nursing her to sleep she will wake up within 15 minutes and that starts our constant nursing session.

So last night she had 3 night wakings where I sat up in bed to nurse her. Each time I laid her down, as normal, she started fussing /crying. Usually I'd try to get her nursing as quickly as possible to avoid her fully waking, but last night I just let her be and WOW! I want to say in 2 minutes she had squirmed and fussed around and cried out a bit and was back asleep! The 3rd time it was literally 2 little wails and that was it. I didn't feel like it was CIO at all because it was more, "I want to be asleep" fusses than crying. I know that is a tiny thing, but it felt good to reverse a little bit of our issues!
Good job! That is definitely not CIO. She was probably not truly awake even though she may have acted like it. IMO it is actually a very respectful thing you did--letting her transition from one cycle to the next without waking her up by nursing her (which I know is never what you intented, it just worked out that way).

How can you be sure she is full? When my babies bob off the breast and seem done, I will burp them and attempt to relatch and they will nurse some more, then they will bob off so I burp and relatch, etc ect. several more times instead of just stopping. After a couple times of this, my babies will give me a look that says, "All done, Mommy!"

To put her to sleep without nursing may be challenging. She's used to using it as a sleep prop. That's no big deal if you don't mind doing it, but it seems to inadvertently create other issues so I tend to discourage it. Watch for when she starts acting sleepy, yawning, red around the eyes, etc. Lay her down in her crib while she is still awake, say goodnight, and leave the room quickly. She will probably start fussing a bit. If it keeps up for more than a few minutes, go back in, calm her down, lay her down, and leave again. You can do this as long as you want. If she eventually gets so worked up that she can't sleep, nurse her and then try again at the next nap. It's no big deal, no rules set in stone. Like a pp said, it will make for a couple long nights (or long days) but after a week or so your life will be SO MUCH EASIER. She will go down for naps happily and easily, you will both be well rested and happy

Advertisement

Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #12
nannorie85
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Sleep Training or Nursing Alll Night

I'm not quiet ready to embark on sleep training and night weaning just yet, especially if I can ease out of some of these situations by gradually cutting back, which seems to be successful so far! Last night she didn't even cry when I laid her down after nursing. And I just laid her down after nursing her to sleep for a nap and she startled and opened her eyes but settled back to sleep (in our bed still...) her eyes have popped open a couple more times to check on me but she is still sleeping! I think I'm attributing her needing me and being fussy more than she really is. I'm going to sew new bedding for the crib to make me more excited about having to put her there.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannorie85 View Post
I'm not quiet ready to embark on sleep training and night weaning just yet, especially if I can ease out of some of these situations by gradually cutting back, which seems to be successful so far! Last night she didn't even cry when I laid her down after nursing. And I just laid her down after nursing her to sleep for a nap and she startled and opened her eyes but settled back to sleep (in our bed still...) her eyes have popped open a couple more times to check on me but she is still sleeping! I think I'm attributing her needing me and being fussy more than she really is. I'm going to sew new bedding for the crib to make me more excited about having to put her there.
I'm glad you found something that is happily working! I don't remember at what age we started nursing less at night. But we did co-sleep until 3 (when he became exceptionally mobile in sleep) & nursed for 22 months. Nursing to sleep was last to go, but we'd quit nursing during the night long before that. I think you are on a good path.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

I Swagbucks
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote