Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
tinymama's Avatar
tinymama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Managers Of Their Chores Maxwell Family

Anyone use this manual? Like or dislike? Is it more, or less structured, than Managers of Their Homes?

Advertisement

tinymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
booty hunter's Avatar
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bubbaland
Posts: 11,441
My Mood:
I actually really liked it. I only read the Maxwells but I understand they did or do follow the Pearls so I can only speak to what the Maxwells books said. I found it to be very helpful but it is extremely structured I would say it really isn't any different than the other book. Qhwn we implemented the ideas they worked great but I found it very hard to keep up with. However I fully admit that may be my failure ,I haven't done it for a few years and at the time we had a very crazy life. Perhaps now it would be easier as the kids have gotten older and we have reorganized our life in many ways. The only complaint I really had with it was the baby scheduling. It isn't something we do and my nurslings are usually extremely clingy and needy ,so I felt like I couldn't give it the attention it needed. But since they baby schedule she didn't address ideas of how to work around that (which was my biggest struggle) . Although she didn't push it she mentions that they are going to be discussing scheduling for the rest of the chapter ,so skip to the next if it doesn't apply. I may try it again this year or next and see if we can get it figured out. I really hate things to be so structured but I guess when you have so many people under one roof you really need some structure.
__________________
CATHOLIC, Open to life,Pro-life from moment of conception to natural death ,mom of many blessings who LOVES to sew when I can find the time
Please excuse any typos ,my laptop keyboard has a mind of it's own
booty hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
tinymama's Avatar
tinymama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Re: Managers Of Their Chores Maxwell Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by booty hunter View Post
I actually really liked it. I only read the Maxwells but I understand they did or do follow the Pearls so I can only speak to what the Maxwells books said. I found it to be very helpful but it is extremely structured I would say it really isn't any different than the other book. Qhwn we implemented the ideas they worked great but I found it very hard to keep up with. However I fully admit that may be my failure ,I haven't done it for a few years and at the time we had a very crazy life. Perhaps now it would be easier as the kids have gotten older and we have reorganized our life in many ways. The only complaint I really had with it was the baby scheduling. It isn't something we do and my nurslings are usually extremely clingy and needy ,so I felt like I couldn't give it the attention it needed. But since they baby schedule she didn't address ideas of how to work around that (which was my biggest struggle) . Although she didn't push it she mentions that they are going to be discussing scheduling for the rest of the chapter ,so skip to the next if it doesn't apply. I may try it again this year or next and see if we can get it figured out. I really hate things to be so structured but I guess when you have so many people under one roof you really need some structure.
Thanks for your reply to my post. I half regretted my question when I realized in hindsight that having the Maxwell Family in the title might have been a major deterrent for some since the religious and homeschooling movement they are associated with can really be a touchy subject for many. I thought of deleting my post but it was too late.

Not a fan of the Pearls here, either so I understand your need to differentiate. I don't consider myself a follower of the Maxwells either, having read a couple of their parenting books, but that aside, I came across the Chores book on ebay the other day and thought I might revisit Teri's approach, now that my children are older. Much like you, I had tried Managers of Their Homes when our oldest children were younger and found it really stressful to implement since I am not a schedule person by nature; it would have been a major adjustment and I was not feeling up to the task. Also I have no problem allowing our lives to revolve around the baby's needs, rather than vice-versa. So I too, found myself objecting to the baby scheduling business right off the bat.

While I am happy with our current life which consists of a loose routine vs. a tight schedule documented in 15 minute increments, I do sometimes feel overwhelmed by the chore load and the childrens' tendency to get snappy with one another over it. What I am more interested in is encouraging a natural desire in them to lift a finger when needed, rather than subjecting them to some heavy-handed lay of the law. That is why I have never liked chore charts because it only seems to increase their tendency to see things apart from eachother as in "this is my job, that is yours" rather than seeing the big picture: that we are all living under the same roof and things could be nicer for us all if we chip in here and there.

Doesn't sound like Managers of Their Chores would be a good fit for us. Guess we'll keep looking, or at the very least, keep plugging along at our own rate. Things do get done. I am learning as I go to embrace the ebb and flow of things rather than to try to implement rigidity where it doesn't belong. Maybe the bigger issue is not the how-to of chores but rather the acceptance of where we're at, so that I don't feel so insecure every time I cross paths with my polar opposite, who in this case is the super scheduled-extreme orderly-author Mom...sometimes perspective is everything!

Last edited by tinymama; 07-18-2014 at 11:16 PM.
tinymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:45 AM   #4
booty hunter's Avatar
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bubbaland
Posts: 11,441
My Mood:
Dp
__________________
CATHOLIC, Open to life,Pro-life from moment of conception to natural death ,mom of many blessings who LOVES to sew when I can find the time
Please excuse any typos ,my laptop keyboard has a mind of it's own

Last edited by booty hunter; 07-19-2014 at 03:55 AM.
booty hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:55 AM   #5
booty hunter's Avatar
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bubbaland
Posts: 11,441
My Mood:
I have never actually read the Pearls but their name comes up on here and nothing I have ever heard about them is good. I was interested in the Maxwell books for the ideas on running a home with lots of children. I really like many of her ideas and I feel like it could work for us but it would require quite a bit of tailoring for our family. It is so hard to find a balance between expectations and reality and that is so different for every family. I hope you find what works for yours.
__________________
CATHOLIC, Open to life,Pro-life from moment of conception to natural death ,mom of many blessings who LOVES to sew when I can find the time
Please excuse any typos ,my laptop keyboard has a mind of it's own
booty hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
cedavid2011's Avatar
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 334
Re: Managers Of Their Chores Maxwell Family

I had not heard of this book/program, but we are going to try out Easy Peasy Chores. You can find it at Good Old Days Farm website/blog. I just tried to look it up and their site is down today, but usually easy to find.
__________________
C married to D (2002), homeschooling mama to DJ (2003), N (2004), M (2006), A (2008), E (2010), R (2011), Angel Baby I, and G (2014).
cedavid2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
BeedieWeedieB's Avatar
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern AZ
Posts: 1,554
My Mood:
I haven't read it but we do accountable kids here. It does require keeping up with to give those rewards when earned as well as the punishment/ticket loss. But our kids do well with it when we all keep up. It is structure for their days as you can make it more chore based or more schedule based or a mix. We have a lot of schedule thrown in for my oldest with autism as he needs it. Good luck, also I only have 4 with 3 1/2 using the program right now
__________________
Heidi ~ Catholic loving wife to Tom and mama to my thomas, david, annemarie, adelaide and a new one coming this October, always remembering our 3 angels
BeedieWeedieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
tinymama's Avatar
tinymama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Re: Managers Of Their Chores Maxwell Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedavid2011 View Post
I had not heard of this book/program, but we are going to try out Easy Peasy Chores. You can find it at Good Old Days Farm website/blog. I just tried to look it up and their site is down today, but usually easy to find.
This looks good, thanks for mentioning it. I have not heard of Easy Peasy before but I did look around on the web and found a coupon code for it I might try, if I buy from Good Old Days Farm...or you can buy the kit with all the extras through Amazon https://mystikit.com/Kit/Order/309#materials Hmmm....still deciding. Also it seems several bloggers are offering the Easy Peasy as a FREE download, but always only for a limited time so I guess you have to be a subscriber to get in on that deal.

I am so glad you led me to that site, though, because I also found something else I have been looking for on the Good Old Days Farm: conversation starters for dinnertime, they are called Words Fitly Spoken. We had something similar from Melissa & Doug that my kids really liked but we have been through those cards several times now so I've been on the lookout for something new

Last edited by tinymama; 07-20-2014 at 08:34 PM.
tinymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
tinymama's Avatar
tinymama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 876
Re: Managers Of Their Chores Maxwell Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeedieWeedieB View Post
I haven't read it but we do accountable kids here. It does require keeping up with to give those rewards when earned as well as the punishment/ticket loss. But our kids do well with it when we all keep up. It is structure for their days as you can make it more chore based or more schedule based or a mix. We have a lot of schedule thrown in for my oldest with autism as he needs it. Good luck, also I only have 4 with 3 1/2 using the program right now
I am in the middle of watching the Accountable Kids promotional video (takes forever to load on our computer). I really like what was said about how having some structure can help guide parents more towards encouraging children rather than just living our days out reacting to our children. Plus I love that the cards are all printed out for you, so no need for Mom & Dad to spend extra time on the computer or cutting out little rectangles!
tinymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #10
meesh38
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 226
Re: Managers Of Their Chores Maxwell Family

I'm not sure if you've looked at it, but from what I understand it's a lanyard the kids wear around their neck or clip to their shirt that has cards in it for each of their chores. As they complete each chore, they move the card to the back of the lanyard. I supposed you could be as structured as you want with it.
__________________
Mama to 6 Princesses including 2 sets of twins; ages 11, 11, 7, 2, 2 and an itti bitti
meesh38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.