Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #11
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

Re: Was Cloth Diapering the right choice?

Yeah, I read all the same stuff about diapers lasting for so many kids, then realized that unless you have a giant stash (which, lets be honest, many of us do), that's just not what happens. Really the diapers last for so many washes, and how many washes will vary by brand, how you take care of them, etc.

I've also found that my absorbent diapers (whether prefolds, fitteds, inserts, etc.) last WAY better than the PUL shells, this is true regardless what brand I have tried. Some of my PUL covers will not even last the first kid, most will last for 2, but I don't expect many of them to last more than 2 kids.

Advertisement

NEkalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #12
thoughtfulmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntersvillebride
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am confused by this. When I first started researching cloth, one of the big pros was cost savings. And people went on and on about how much you would save if you used your diapers for more than one kid or sold them when finished. But on this thread everyone is saying that 2 years is not an unusual or bad lifespan for diapers. So which is true? Because if a normal lifespan is 2 years I will not be able to use my diapers for multiple children or resell them. So to me I would think that 2 years is not a "good" lifespan. I want and expect my diapers to make it through a couple kids, especially since I baby my diapers (and it sounds like OP did too). ETA: 35 shells is a lot! With that many I doubt OP was washing any individual shell more than one time a week. And she was hanging to dry indoors 99% of the time.
It depends on which type of diaper you are using, and other factors too, like what type of water you have, what detergent you use, how big your rotation of diapers is.

Flats and prefolds and wool usually last the longest since they are natural fibers and tend to break down less over time. Plus there's no elastic to have issues with, or Velcro and other stuff.

I've had prefolds that gave went through 4 kids and are still amazing. They've been going 7plus years now. Yes they are thinner than when we started and don't look prestige, but they work and are awesome poop catchers! Lol

I don't worry about them lasting though, they turn into dusting rags and are going to be used somehow. I don't use sposies because I don't want to contribute to a pile of plastic chemical ridden fecal matter sitting in landfills for 500+ years.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #13
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntersvillebride View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am confused by this. When I first started researching cloth, one of the big pros was cost savings. And people went on and on about how much you would save if you used your diapers for more than one kid or sold them when finished. But on this thread everyone is saying that 2 years is not an unusual or bad lifespan for diapers. So which is true? Because if a normal lifespan is 2 years I will not be able to use my diapers for multiple children or resell them. So to me I would think that 2 years is not a "good" lifespan. I want and expect my diapers to make it through a couple kids, especially since I baby my diapers (and it sounds like OP did too).

ETA: 35 shells is a lot! With that many I doubt OP was washing any individual shell more than one time a week. And she was hanging to dry indoors 99% of the time.
I agree with above poster. There is a misconception (which I think hurts cloth diapering) that if you buy a set of one size diapers that it will last from birth to potty with not one, but multiple kids. That really isn't true.

First, One Size rarely fits Newborns and sometimes doesn't fit older kids if they are on the large side or PL later.

Second, well it's still cloth and it doesn't last forever. I use aplix and with a avg stash (enough for 3 days) and heavy use the aplix often only last 12-18 months, its generally the first thing that will go on a diaper. If you use snaps, the next thing that is likely to go is the elastic at 2-3 years (sometimes sooner depending on brand). Eventually the PUL may de-laminate but that is more rare I think.

Now there are posters here who have said there have used there PUL cover through like 4 kids in 7 years and they were posting because they finally died and didn't know what to buy. So it IS possible, it's just not the norm.

You can buy bigger stashes or be gentler with washing/using and that can help them last longer, but honestly it depends as well on factors that you don't have control over like your water type or your environment. may or may not combined with your washer and detergent and how it all interacts.

With my first, cloth from day 1 to daytime PL 2.5y and nighttime PL at 5.5y I use to have to get new aplix covers about once a year (more often with grovia) so I rebought covers several times in that 2.5y span and I still spent less than I would have on disposables (especially on more natural disposables which I would have used).

My second was born 2 years ago and first diaper was cloth (still in diapers). She is reusing alot of the absorbency bits (prefolds/flats/inserts/doublers) but only used a couple of the PUL pockets that DS had, Bumgenius ones that I "refreshed" the aplix on. So I've bought her new PUL covers and since she required different diapering due to wetness sensitivity I also bought her fitteds and wool. But I've been able to reuse alot of things I've bought. I've also passed on my infant prefolds to another recent newborn that is using them now and saved them some money.

Personally I don't get the large stashes so they all last longer, because it doesn't make since to buy 30 of something now so it will last 4 years instead of buying 15 now and it'll last 2 years. It's better, in my opinion, to get fresh brand new diapers in 2 years. Also you don't know if what you buy will work with other children, everyone is different and the next childs body type, output, or sensitivities could be different like it was in my family.

I'm sorry (I actually really am) that you got the misconception that a lot of people have that a single cloth diaper will last "forever" but I hope it doesn't turn you off from cloth diapering in general because I feel it good for the environment, the baby bottom (think chemical in disposables), and the wallet. Plus it's cute!

Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. Everything must go! Check Lots: CV, TR, WL

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-18-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #14
Jumbo
Registered Users
seller

I do also think some brands use inferior PUL. I have a blueberry pail liner and had a bummis wet bag that got treated the same way though the bummis bag got used and washed less. The bummis bag started delaminating inside a year but I still use the BB liner (my only one) exclusively with no problems. They must bond the PUL differently.
Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #15
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

I would be disappointed if I had a stash of more than 30 diapers and the pul cracked after 2 years. The first thing I expect to replace is Velcro. Then elastic but I have yet (3yrs in) had any of my bought new pul crack and I don't baby mine. I dry in the drier about as often as I line dry. For longevity Grovia are my favorite. Snaps covers look new with very little pulling even 5 years later. The elastic is super easy to o replace and if replacing elastic is my cost between kiddos that's pretty awesome. I have more flips because I found better deals on them and also wanted Velcro which Grovia isn't the best. If flips were easier to replace Velcro I'd say they were best.

I think the biggest upset I would feel is that there was no apology. A lot of companies just don't apologize. I think they feel like that's accepting the blame and will come back to bite them but honestly half the time I'm upset all I want is for someone to acknowledge how it feels and show regret that I have to feel that way.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #16
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s
it sounds like the customer service wasn't great, I'll give you that. But I think if you were drying in the sunlight for 3 years before you had an issue that's not much of an issue. I don't have anything PUL that has lasted 3 years. I wouldn't through in the "green" towel with cloth diapers because of one bad customer service rep.
really? I have flips and econobum covers that have been in use for 4 years. Elastic is totally stretched out but the PUL is still working. Honestly though, I don't dry covers in the sun. I sun prefolds/fitteds etc (well, I used to. I'm on kid 4 and just don't care if we have poop stains on poop catchers ) but not covers. Those can just hang on a rack inside.

I think if you got 3 years use that's nothing to sneeze at though
Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #17
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clotheguy
I would honestly say that we had sun dried 5 or less time, otherwise the are air dried on a drying rack in the house. Overall it was a horrible customer service experience, shame .....! Anyhow, Thanks for the positive attitude. We haven't given up on a greener life!
ok, that makes more sense. I've found flips to hold up really well with the exception of elastic stretching out. Apparently they just updated their elastic so that may no longer be an issue
Old 01-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #18
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Also I forgot to say when we lived in co I sinned my covers a lot and we were higher altitude so supposed to be stronger sun?? Anyways I never had an issue.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #19
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
really? I have flips and econobum covers that have been in use for 4 years. Elastic is totally stretched out but the PUL is still working. Honestly though, I don't dry covers in the sun. I sun prefolds/fitteds etc (well, I used to. I'm on kid 4 and just don't care if we have poop stains on poop catchers ) but not covers. Those can just hang on a rack inside.

I think if you got 3 years use that's nothing to sneeze at though
Well I mostly think that he shouldn't be so upset over covers only lasting 3 years. I really have no experience with sun drying. So I'll admit I didn't phrase well.

I've had some PUL go on me (like joanne fabric babyville PUL) and I've had some PUL that seems like it will outlast us all.

And honestly I understand why the company didn't apologize, should they really admit that something they made was flawed because it didn't hold up to 3 years of consistent use with some possible storage inbetween? If they did that most people would expect a refund / discount / free repair. After 3 years of at least washing about weekly lets say (given he had 30 covers) they did fine. I'm surprised as everyone else that the PUL de-laminated before the elastic was shot, but he got good use out of them, life goes on, support the cloth diaper industry by buying more.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. Everything must go! Check Lots: CV, TR, WL

Last edited by Pixi6s; 01-06-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:46 AM   #20
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

im sorry you're disappointed. Here's my humble, yet practical opinion. I'm on my sixth CDed child. I usually spend about $200 a child, sometimes keeping a couple of things. Like prefolds. 30+ covers is total overkill. I have 8 and that's a lot. You can save money if don't buy too much diapers. And 3 years is a long time.....