Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

i did it! called ped. office about delaying vax

my son is almost six months old, and i have been dreading getting his boosters from his four month shots since the second he received them. i actually felt strongly about not vaccinating him until he was older, but i really feel like i was pressured into vaxing him.

his reaction to the four month shots really scared me. he slept for 14 hours straight after he got them, only waking to nurse once. SO unlike him. he had these horrible welts on his thighs that didn't go away for two weeks. i don't like all the combo shots, the whole thing just really makes me feel uneasy.

so after reading the thread that is floating around about vaxing and nearly throwing up from from the guilt and worry that this issue causes me, i decided to call my ped's office this morning to discuss the possibility of stopping jack's vaxes until he's at least two. i had already decided that he was not getting the combo mmr or chicken pox at 12 months, so i knew i would have to deal with that anyway. i asked if there were any peds who were supportive of selective vax/delayed vax and the woman i spoke with said that she didn't have one particular doctor to suggest, but that my doc would be happy about discussing it with me. she then told me that i would be surprised at the number of their patients who are not vaxed on schedule. i was shocked that she said that, but she assured me that it is more common than i thought.

so, PHEW, i feel so much better already. i feel like my baby is just too little for all of those immunizations, and we can revisit selective vaxing later in his life.

*****PLEASE PLEASE do not make THIS thread into a debate about vaxing, there is another thread already going on about that, and i believe i'm going to post there as well, as i have some questions******

Advertisement

Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: i did it! called ped. office about delaying vax

Awesome! Way to go, mama!
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good for you! We have to switch our ped because ours is moving and I am just hoping I find one that is as cool and understanding as the one we have. I dread this, and this thread gives me a little more confidence. Thank you
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good job for calling!

Just a suggestion, do talk to the doc about it and explain your reasoning. I don't know about your state, but a lot of states are hyper about vaxxing on schedule and it really helps if you have your doc vouching for you.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good for you for not being afraid to do what you believe is right for your child. I have vaxed all my kids on schedule (3 of them) and ONLY this last time was there ever a reaction. It seriously made me consider delaying vaxes for future children (shes 18mos & these were her last 2 until she goes to kindergarden). It is something I will definately have to read more about if we ever consider having more kids.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
LinzluvsGJ
Registered Users

Good for you speaking up about your decision! I've spoken up before and been met by some dr's who act like I'm trying to murder my child

Mommy to 5!
LinzluvsGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

Go you! You should be proud of yourself for standing up for your baby. It can be scary to have to do something "differently"--I know. So you get kudos just for bravery.

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

I'm glad it went well for you
Old 08-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Go, mama! Stand up and do what you feel is right for your babies! I, too, was pressured into vaxing that I regretted later. It is never to late to do the right thing!