Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What age to start PL?

I have no idea what age to start PL my 15 month old DD. I have had several people ask me if I have started yet, but I thought that she was too young.

But would now be a good time to start it? I WOH full time, so it would only be when she is with me.

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

Re: What age to start PL?

My dd started showing interest and even went quite a few times on her potty at around 15-16 months. But it didn't last long, the novelty wore out pretty quick! I didn't push her, but if she asked then I would take her diaper off and let her sit on the potty.

She's 21 months now and IMO is no where near ready. Every child is different so I say just follow her cues.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

I think because you are a WOHM (nothing against it btw) you are going to have to wait until your child decides they are done with diapers. (which typically happens between 3-4)

Unless your daycare is 100% on board it just wont work. When DS was in daycare she SAID she was working with him...but she wasnt and no matter how hard we tried at home, it just wouldnt work....so he trained when he was ready at a week before his 3rd birthday.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is just 15months old and he usually uses the potty after naptime, but we are not pushing anything,
LuAnn
Old 08-04-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

IMO, for *most* babies, that's a bit too young. Like a previous poster, my dd used the potty around that age and then just stopped. We never pushed the issue, the potty was always available to her, and she ended up just decided one morning (at 3yrs old) that she didn't want to wear diapers anymore. And guess what, we never had accidents! EVER! Good luck!
Old 08-04-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I think I do everything the "lazy mom" way! SO, the first two dd PL at around 3 years of age. They learned very quickly and easily. The third dd showed interest earlier, maybe around 2 years of age. We started then and it took FOREVER!! I so wished I had just waited as I did with the first two! She was still wearing a diaper at night at age 3 1/2. Maybe it would have taken just as long had I had waited but I don't know. My ds who is 18 months old is showing absolutely NO signs of interest so I plan on waiting until he is much older based on past experience. My friend who has a ds Joseph's age asked me last month if I was starting to PL and I just had to laugh...with 4 kids, another on the way, and working PT, it hadn't even crossed my mind!! ) Remember you are the mama, despite outsiders' opinions, and you know your kiddos the best!! Do what feels right! Just my 2 cents!! Good luck!
Old 08-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
fpww_rachael
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We started putting DD#1 on the potty as soon as she would stay dry through the night. She loved sitting on the potty. But we didn't really start actual potty training until a few months later. We didn't even do training pants, she just went right to wearing panties. After a couple days of accidents, she was able to hold it completely. She's 2 now and I don't even have to help her potty, she just goes by herself. We have an occassional accident during her naps and sometimes when she's playing outside with all the kids in the cove. She also regressed for about a month when DD#2 was born - that was so frustrating! Anyway, that worked for her, but I would say to wait until the interest is there and establish a good reward system. It really isn't so much about the age that will tell you when they're ready. Every child is different.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
carleyc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We started introducing the potty to our DD at 11 months. I wasn't expecting her to do anything at that stage of course, but I wanted her to be familiar with it. My plan (before I knew better) was to have her completely out of diapers by 18 months. After about 2 hours without diapers at 17 months I realized she still had no clue when she needed to go, and we went back to the whole "let her sit on it if she wants to, but no pressure" thing. She is 22 months, and decided on Monday that she was done wearing diapers. She asked to go potty and flat our refused to let me put a diaper on her. She was completely day trained including naps and outings in 2 days. (of course we are only on day 5, so she could change her mind, but I don't see that happening)

Anyhow, what I'm saying is I think it is a good idea to start introducing her to the potty so she knows what it is and is comfortable sitting on it, but I wouldn't expect her to be ready now.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:04 PM   #9
aklausmeier
Registered Users

My ds potty trained right after his 3rd birthday. We've tried off & on since he was 2 and it was always a nightmare. The last time though, we just let him lead the way and it worked!

IMO 15 mo might be a little young. Girls are supposed to train earlier though. I'd leave the potty out and just keep trying until she's ready
Old 08-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We let both of our older children decide when they wanted to be done with diapers. Both PL'd at 3 and where completely day and night trained within a matter of days. It was so wonderful to not have to stress of it.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote