Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Gentle Disipline for a 1 yr old?

I'm seriously at a loss here. I have a very strong willing, stuboorn, precious little girl who is 14 months old. She definitley understands the word "no" like she knows she isnt supposed to touch the TV or play with the remote, touch the electronic stuff on the entertainment center and when she THINKS noone is watching she tries to touch it all. I tell her in a firm strong voice "No Riley that is not your toy - these are your toys" and move her to where she can see/touch/play with her toys - it doesnt seem to be very effective.
Is there something else I should be doing or if I do this enough will she get the picture. I know she is testing her boundries, and she is walking these days so she is exploring her surroundings but I dont want to give in to that JUST because she can walk now ya know?
Help!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:
Re: Gentle Disipline for a 1 yr old?

Have you tried time out? It is a minute for every year of their age. I would do what you are doing and if she goes right back to it tell her....yes she can understand...."Riley, Mama said no, you cannot touch the dvd player, That can hurt Riley. You will have to sit here for 1 minute and mama will be back to get you. Sit her in a small chair and make that her time out chair or thinking chair. After 1 minute she will not remember why she is sitting there. If she wont stay in a chair maybe sit with her on the couch but no playing just sitting. When she tries getting up gently remind her she has to sit. Other than taping her hands, which I dont think you want to do by asking for gentle ways, I dont know what else to tell you. I am against moving things out of reach like that. They have to learn not to touch it. Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you both!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Re: Gentle Disipline for a 1 yr old?

Positive redirection. It takes A LOT of time and energy, but makes for an all together happier household. If it is really unaceptable behavior a minute in the corner (you have to stay behind them the whole time at this age) really gets the point across for some babies/kids. They are all different though, bless their hearts... and ours .