Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help!!! Thrush?!

This morning, I brought my 2 yr old to the doctor because over the last few days, she's been telling us her "pee pee" hurts. For a variety of reasons, both my DH and I thought she was just making it up (she now has a 7 wk old sister to compete for attention with---there are other reasons besides that...). Regardless, we thought she should be checked out. Well, her pediatrician said he thinks she has a yeast infection and gave us treatment for that.

I was just laying down for a little bit with my 7 wk old and noticed 2 small white spots on her tongue. It's different than when she just finishes nursing and her whole tongue is white. These 2 spots are a deeper white and didn't disappear.

Additionally, over the last week or so, occassionally, my breasts will hurt for just a moment...but a deep pain...and then just as suddenly as it came on, it's gone. Honestly, I guess that should have worried me and I guess it did, but I guess with a toddler and a newborn, I just havent made that a top thing on my priority list.

So, when I saw the white spots on her tongue, I started to research thrush. My 2 yr old has a habit of grabbing the newborns pacifiers and walking around the house with them in her mouth. I'm wondering if the newborn and I have thrush, then could a vaginal yeast infection in my 2 yr old have been caused by the thrush on the pacifier?? Does all this stuff sound like thrush?? I'm calling the pediatrician, but they are at lunch until 1:30, so i thought I'd post to get some opinions.

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Help!!! Thrush?!

Sounds like it to me. See what the Dr says.

Oh just FYI, you and DH could be sharing the yeast as well, but men don't get symptoms like we do. If you have trouble getting rid of it, you may have to see about having him treated as well. My friend went through this for months, before they reallized DH was in the loop as well, KWIM. IF it is that mild maybe you should all get on some acidophilis tablets for a while, or eat lots of yogurt.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

GENECIAN VIOLET!! Treat you nipples and baby's mouth wiht it. It should clear in a coupled days. DD trush could simply be an imbalance. Get some babybifida at a health food store, cut out sugar, water down juice an feed lots of yogurt.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
sheandaru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also recommend some GSE (grape seed extract).

sheandaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I woudl definitely say that they are all related. We just finally got over thrush. My 2 1/2 month old had it for awhile! I took him into the ped and they put him on oral nystatin. He took that for 2 weeks and still had it. She told me to make sure I boiled his pacifier daily and to use an antifungal cream on me, which I did. She also said that don't be surprised if it went all the way through the digestive system and he broke out with it in his diaper area. thankfully he never did, but the nystatin they put him on did not work.
She then recommended Gentian Violet. I put it on me and in baby's mouth once a day for 5 days and it was gone! Definitely recommend that! You will have a purple mouth baby for a few days, but it definitely works better!
Good luck!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, mamas! Where can I find Gen (ok....can't remember the spelling and can't see the other posts)...but the violet stuff...where can i find that? Just at a regular pharmacy, like a CVS or Walgreens?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

gentian violet is available from your pharmacist, but you don't need a script. mine ordered it for me, just took a couple of days. get the 1%, NOT the 2%.

good luck, i know thrush can be awful--we had it for 7 weeks, never want to go through that again!

you also might want to boil, or add boiling water to your washing machine in case there is yeast living in the diapers.
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #8
mommy2girlies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gentian Violet worked for us!! We had our walgreens order it for us. Plus taking probiotics is key to getting rid of it. Boil the paci's for 20 min. everday and then when you guys are over the thrush, throw them out and get new ones. You can also add vinegar to your rinse cycle on your dipes for the yeast and you can put 1 tbl in 1 cup of water in a spray bottle and spray your nipples after every feeding and then apply a combo of equal parts hydrocortisone 1% cream and lotrimin AF (I just mixed mine in a tupperware dish and used it like that) to your nipples. Make sure you're wearing your nursing bras only once before washing them. The yeast in Thrush feeds on the lactose in the breastmilk, thats why its so hard to get rid of!! We're on week 5 of it and the only thing thats worked for us is that we finally got on Diflucan (an antifungal pill) for both of us and I think its finally on its way. My nipples hurt so bad for weeks!! They got cracked. Now we're all on the mend, thank god! Hope this helps!
mommy2girlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:06 PM   #9
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry Re: Help!!! Thrush?!

Thanks everyone!! This sounds like it's going to suck, to put it mildly. I'm not usually a "yeasty person"...I never get yeast infections and never had this when I was nursing Taylor.

My SIL is friends with a LLL leader and she asked her what to do as well. LLL says you need to wash all the sheets, towels, washcloths, bras after each use...meaning I have to change the sheets every day until this is gone and be doing a LOT more laundry than normal. Additionally, I have to wipe everything down with a vinegar/water solution....and clean the girl's toys with the same solution. This is going to be soooo much fun! lleyes2:

I got the oral nystatin for Emily (the baby) and I'm supposed to give it to her 4 times a day and then I guess I'm supposed to apply that to my nipples? No clue there...I have to call the doctor tomorrow and ask. Then, I actually had some topical nystatin and am using that on Taylor for her issues. I'm going to track down some gentian violet tomorrow.

Anyone know if the oral nystatin will cause my dipes to stain? Just wondering if I need to make some quick liners out of some fleece I have in the house. Also, do I need to be overly concerned about yeast being in Emily's diapers? I know one mama mentioned adding boiling water to my dipe laundry which I'll do....and I already add vinegar to my rinse cycles.

Have I mentioned how much this is going to suck?!
Old 08-16-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have thrush but my 3wk old hasnt gotten it yet. My pedi seems to think I got on diflucan quick enough that he isnt going to get it. I know it makes my nipples hurt like hell. Good Luck!