Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
mommyofsweetones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've cleaned as much poop as I can stand!

The potty-learning thread reminded me that I wanted to post about this to get some "words of wisdom" from all the wonderfully experienced and wise mamas on this board! My dd will be 4 the end of Sept. and has mastered "peeing" in the potty, but has yet to learn that "poop" should go in the potty too. She has only had one successful poop on the potty and every other time, she goes in her undies and does the "crab walk" to me or hollers that she needs me. I ask her several times throughout the day if she has to go, but always answers "no". I try to remind her that she can go poopy on the potty too and then it won't feel so messy for her. Maybe she doesn't recognize the sensation yet, I don't know, but I'm so tired of cleaning out poopy undies.....I hate that worse than cleaning poopy dipes! Any suggestions to help her along, or do we just need to wait patiently. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
skayers01
Registered Users

Re: I've cleaned as much poop as I can stand!

Put her in panties. Kids tend to treat diapers like diapers. Also, if there's a time she usually goes poop, have her "go try". That's all I know to do. My daughter was the opposite! But from childcare experience, my first thought is to get rid of diapers. Having her pick her panties helps too!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
mommyofsweetones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She does wear panties....we haven't been in diapers for almost a year now and that did help her with learning to pee in the potty, but for some reason it doesn't have the same effect with the other. We have also had her sit for a little while to try to go, especially if it seems like it might be time for one. Most of the time she's willing to try, but has only produced something once. A few times she doesn't want to try, so I let it go. I guess she'll figure it out when she's ready.....I just need a bigger dose of patience! Thanks for letting me share!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been cleaning out ds' underwear for two years. I don't have any good advice though. Once he poops once on the potty, more usually follow for him. But he can have spells where he won't poop on the potty for months. And he doesn't mind sitting in it, so he won't even tell me. We have had sticker charts, prizes like a trip to the ice cream store, etc. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Malka
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
skayers01
Registered Users

I told a little boy at school once that I wasn't cleaning it up anymore and that he would have to do it himself. He pooped in him underwear, so I said "Go clean yourself up." He looked at me like I was insane and then went into the bathroom and began undressing, dumped his poop in the toilet and started wiping himself. I did go help, but after that he didn't do it again. He was four also. I just feel at 4 years old, they know what they're doing. Kean pooped his pants b/c he knew someone would clean it up. I'm not saying it's the same for your daughter, but we had a very similar experience with my neice as well. She was just too busy playing and knew me or my sis would clean her up.