Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:09 PM   #21
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Re: BF in public. How do I deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom
So, I guess I need to figure out a way to nurse more discreetly. I tried throwing Emma's blanket over us, but she likes to grab onto it when shes eating and pulls it right off.

And how do I get comfortable with covering up? Do I cover up first and THEN put Emma to the breast or vice versa?

You do NOT need to learn to nurse "more discreetly". BAH!

You don't need to become comfortable with covering up.

They are a a PED office, for chrissake!

Does your state happen to protect BF in public?
If so, i would carry around a card with your states law on it, to give to anyone who truly harasses you.

For people who are just annoying, like the nurse, quite firmly say, "no thank you, we are fine right here. " or similar. With a regular person, I'd just leave it at that.
with a supposed HEALTH PROFESSIONAL,. I'd also add in something like "of course I'm nursing, your supposed to nurse, it what's best for babies, right?" and then act like THEY are the insane ones for not being more supportive to begin with. Enjoy making THEM blubber and blush.

Or, if you are a little more daring, tell them where exactly they can go and what they can do there.

Great job, momma!

Advertisement

bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #22
skayers01
Registered Users

Babytalk magazine has a card that you can print!
Old 08-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #23
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the support, ladies. When I first had Emma, I really had no feelings of shame or modesty regarding breastfeeding in public. But, the more I get strange looks from people, the more it makes me feel like people are uncomfortable.
I'm one of those people that likes to please everyone, so I find myself thinking "well, maybe if I cover up people wont be offended". But I seem to forget that there isnt anything WRONG with nursing. Its this blasted culture that has somehow twisted nature and makes us believe that bottle feeding is the only acceptable practice.

I DID call the office and complain. The Pediatrician was very nice and apologetic and said that HE is proud of me for breastfeeding, and that obviously my daughter is benefiting from it (seeing as she gained 3 pounds her first month).

In the meantime, I am going to look for a different Pediatrician. It may mean paying out of pocket, but it's worth the money to find someone who supports us and shares our values.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:42 AM   #24
wyovol
Registered Users

Good for you for complaining! Let me know if you need any recommendations for Peds.
wyovol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:57 AM   #25
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Way to go mama! We're all behind you on this!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 AM   #26
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

That's insane. If that happens again, tell them no thank you, you are comfortable right where you are sitting. A room with no chair *shaking head*

I found the blanket thing to only last so long before he was pulling it off. Now I just use him to cover my body and my shirt to cover the top. I'm discreet but I won't hide in another room.

I completely understand about finding another doc, someone who understands, if not shares your views on breastfeeding.
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #27
lutgen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what is the card from Babytalk? what does it say?
lutgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #28
Sundee
Registered Users

I am sorry you were treated like that! That receptionist was totally out of line. Next, time say put, don't get up. You have every right to feed your child, and your child has every right to eat.
A suggestion to help covering up, get some safety pins, so you can pin the blanket to your shoulder. that way, the baby can't pull the blanket off. It works great for me and my son.
Sundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:50 PM   #29
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Abby hates to have a blanket over her too. And I don't blame her, it's hot! If we're going out, I usually try to wear a camisole under whatever shirt I'm wearing. I pull my boob over the top of the camisole (it tugs down...got it at Motherhood) and then pull my shirt up. So all you're really seeing is my camisole. LOL Some have commented that it looks like she's just sleeping that way or something. A blanket is too annoying for me. And if they've got an issue with it, they can look away. It's not like I'm getting disrobed to feed her.