Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Surgery

How long after being under a general do you have to wait to BF or does it matter? I'm having surgery Tues & just want to make sure I know if I need to pump & dump or if it's ok to feed right away. TIA.

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
quarli
Registered Users
seller

Re: Surgery

Ive nursed as soon as I was allowed to see the boys They say 24hrs but Hale says different and I trust him....they drs and nurses say it to cover themselves mainly.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

pretty much they cant stop you . Most enlightened Dr's and nurses will let you nurse as soon as they allow family to come in to see you, which is usually a few hours. If it was a newbie, i would fight to nurse right away, but I cant remember how old your littlest is??
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom
pretty much they cant stop you . Most enlightened Dr's and nurses will let you nurse as soon as they allow family to come in to see you, which is usually a few hours. If it was a newbie, i would fight to nurse right away, but I cant remember how old your littlest is??
7.5 mos
Old 08-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does he supplement at all?? if not, I would push them to let him nurse sooner. If he is nibbling stuff, he might be ok to wait 3 hrs or 4. It's up to you and him...
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check with your anisthesiologist (SP???). They use different drugs for different people so it is good to know.

Good luck with surgery!
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had surgery when DS was 6 months old. I spoke to the nurses and anestesiologist, and they chose different medications for me so that I could nurse when I came out. The anesthesiologist was fantastic, he made sure everyone knew what was going on. One nurse didn't know (she had come on afterward), and I explained to her that if she checked the info, they gave me different meds. She looked and was fine. the other suggestion I have is that I asked for a pump while I was in the hospital. they brought me a hospital grade pump to use so that while ds wasn't there, I could pump and keep the milk and make sure my supply didn't go down at all. They got me bottles and milk bags to store in as well. Just ask, you'd be surprised how accomodating hospitals can be for a nursing mommy!!!

Good luck and I hope the recovery goes quickly. Feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns!!
Old 08-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMommy
I had surgery when DS was 6 months old. I spoke to the nurses and anestesiologist, and they chose different medications for me so that I could nurse when I came out. The anesthesiologist was fantastic, he made sure everyone knew what was going on. One nurse didn't know (she had come on afterward), and I explained to her that if she checked the info, they gave me different meds. She looked and was fine. the other suggestion I have is that I asked for a pump while I was in the hospital. they brought me a hospital grade pump to use so that while ds wasn't there, I could pump and keep the milk and make sure my supply didn't go down at all. They got me bottles and milk bags to store in as well. Just ask, you'd be surprised how accomodating hospitals can be for a nursing mommy!!!

Good luck and I hope the recovery goes quickly. Feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns!!

WOW TY for the info. I called the hospital & they faxed over paperwork for me to fill out. In the "medical profile" it actually says "Are you BFing?" so that's good... & I had to fill out all this ifno about DS's age/weight etc.

I talked to the LC at the hospital too & she said she will be sure to be at the hospital during the procedure so she can discuss everything w/doc & nurses since I still may be "out of it" a little when I get back in the room.

TY everyone.