Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:12 AM   #1
Registered Users
How could organic milk be giving him a diaper rash?

About 6 months ago, my local dairy switched to a new brand of organic milk. Around this same time, DS started getting diaper rash for the first time in his young life (at that time, he was about 17 months old). I tried everything to stop this rash. It would get better for a day or two, then get worse, to the point that it was often raw and bleeding. I used every diaper cream on the market, his doctor gave him prescriptions, I went back and forth between sposies and cloth trying to figure out if it was a sensitivity to the detergent I use (SensiClean/SportWash). To say that I eliminated foods randomly from his diet is an understatement. We are both eating the most bland diet imaginable (he still BF's so I cut stuff out of my diet, too).

While we were on vacation this month, I couldn't get organic milk, so he drank plain old pasturized milk. His diaper rash cleared up about the 3rd day of our vacation. I didn't link it to the milk, I thought it was something we were/weren't eating (we were in a foreign country, so we were eating some new things).

We returned home, he went back to drinking organic milk, and within 48 hours, his tushy was turning red, and over the next week, we were back to a full blown, red, raw rash.

When I got groceries this weekend, they were out of organic milk, so I grabbed a half-gallon of regular milk, and his rash is now gone again.

Do I dare pick up a carton of the organic and see if he gets his rash back? What in the world could there be in that milk to cause such a bad rash? Logically, I think "it's milk and vitamin D, there is nothing there to cause him to have a rash", but it is the only thing I've changed in his diet this week. (I have kept a very detailed food log for about the last 3 months, trying to get to the source of this. We had ruled out milk allergy, too.)

Mom to one cool dude...honest.
Parvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:50 AM   #2
I had the CD wagon impounded!
My Mood:
Re: How could organic milk be giving him a diaper rash?

Try a different brand of organic milk.

It could very well be whatever the cows are eating (kind of grass) and your son could be allergic to the grass that gets into the milk (much like whatever we eat gets into our BM) KWIM?

That is my first though as there are no hormones, pesticides or antibiotics in organic milk so it's not that.

Good luck
Brenda & Brian-Parents to: Tiffany 15, Claire 12, Keegan 8, Nathan 6, Teague 2, Charlotte 12 months
SAHM, HSing, cloth diapering, non-vaxing, babywearing, LDS, aspiring midwife and natural birthing mama
keegans_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:53 AM   #3
Registered Users

i second the PP. Here we've noticed a major difference in milk from different sources. We tried some fresh milk from a farmer here and YUCK! But when you taste their lettuce and similar items it seems to have the same sort of flavor. So it could very well be what the cows are munching on.
Loving wife to DH and mama to Emma 07/06/03 Rissa 09/22/04
and Jaida 10/10/07
jkelstaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I agree. My dd was getting rashes a lot from regular milk. Once I put her on organic the rashes went away! I would try a differant brand of organic and see if that helps.
Kerri wifey to dh since 2000! SAHM to Robbie (03), Abby (05) and Elijah (07) Stocking at Serenity Tree
kthoelen is offline   Reply With Quote