Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
mommaof2blessings
Registered Users

My 4yr old is regressing? wetting bed at night..

HI,
First we do family bed so this is a bit problem more so. My son has been potty trained since 3 and recently he's been making mistake more than a few times in a week. We ask him to go potty before bed and sometimes he goes some doesn't. But betwetting happens either way whether he went potty or not before coming to bed.
What can we do to help him get out of this cycle?

TIA

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
ahava'smama
Registered Users

Re: My 4yr old is regressing? wetting bed at night..

my best friend went through this! Bladder Reflux runs in her family so her dd regressed and is in training pants at night again! I don't know if that is helpful, but it may help with the wet bed at least! sorry that I can't be more help! But that is all I have it's my only Good luck!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This may have nothing to do with it but I am going to throw it out there - just in case. I don't know if you've seen the red dye #40 thread or not but during my research over the last couple of days I have seen that the consumption of red dye #40 can cause children who are otherwise potty trained to wet the bed. You might want to go through your cupboard and check out what he has been eating lately. You could always try eliminating any food with the dye in it (it is in a lot of things) and see if that helps.

Another suggestion is to purchase a wool mattress pad. It won't stop him from wetting the bed but it will help to contain any leaks and keep the sheets and mattress from getting ruined.

Also, if he is peeing at a certain time of night consistently you can wake him up and put him on the toilet a couple of minutes before he normally goes. A pain for you but it would seem less so than a peed on bed.

Jessica
camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Any changes in his routine. Are you making sure he isn't drinking too much before bed and making sure he goes potty before betime? I am sure you are, but just a reminder, I know I thought it was such a habit that I kind of forgot about it. Have you ever considered a reward system for no accidents. Maybe he just needs a reminder again, we had to do this w/ DD a couple of times after she potty trained and setbacks. I am sure he will get back on track soon. I hope at least so the rest of you stay dry.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
mommaof2blessings
Registered Users

I don't want to relate this to his regression but I have a 3 months old daughter.. I've heard somewhere when there is a new baby in the house this can happen... How can I find out which food has Red Dye? He drinks orange juice, soy milk, water nothing else..
I guess we need to be more strict on Not drinking prior to bedtime 2 hours or so.. Are there any waterproof pants for his size we can put on him?
He is 36+ lbs.
Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
Any changes in his routine. Are you making sure he isn't drinking too much before bed and making sure he goes potty before betime? I am sure you are, but just a reminder, I know I thought it was such a habit that I kind of forgot about it. Have you ever considered a reward system for no accidents. Maybe he just needs a reminder again, we had to do this w/ DD a couple of times after she potty trained and setbacks. I am sure he will get back on track soon. I hope at least so the rest of you stay dry.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would think the regression is related to his new sibling. Maybe some special attention time to just him would help. If you don't want to do rewards you could still make a chart and he could just put a star next to every night he is dry. No reward needs to be involved - most of the time they just love the visual and stickers.

Since he has a new sibling I would bet the night wetting is more associated with that than the food dye but if you want to check it out the food dye can be found in virtually every boxed product among other things. Simply look at the label and it will read red #40. I am new to deciphering this so I know it is also labeled as other things but I'm not sure what they are yet. It certainly wouldn't harm your child to stop giving him foods that contain red dye or any other food coloring for that matter. Even yoplait yogurt has red #40 in it which is what my daughter reacted to.

If you want some sort of diaper to put on him Happy Heinys (I sell them) has pocket trainers that you can stuff and that are easy to pull off and on, etc. They sell them for your sons weight category and even much bigger (they have a size for 60+ lbs - wow).

Jessica

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof2blessings
I don't want to relate this to his regression but I have a 3 months old daughter.. I've heard somewhere when there is a new baby in the house this can happen... How can I find out which food has Red Dye? He drinks orange juice, soy milk, water nothing else..
I guess we need to be more strict on Not drinking prior to bedtime 2 hours or so.. Are there any waterproof pants for his size we can put on him?
He is 36+ lbs.
Any suggestions?
camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdensmommy
I would think the regression is related to his new sibling. Maybe some special attention time to just him would help. If you don't want to do rewards you could still make a chart and he could just put a star next to every night he is dry. No reward needs to be involved - most of the time they just love the visual and stickers.

Jessica
I agree w/ PP. Regression may be due to the new baby, and yes even the stickers can be enough of a reward, just giving him a feeling of accomplishment, make him feel special for doing a good job. I am sure trying to cut out things like red dye can only be a good thing, but maybe not nec his problem. Not trying to step on toes, so please don't take offense.

Whatever is causing it, I hope you find the reason and can quickly get things back on track.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote