Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
YumaDoula
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question 3yo suddenly has a serious TERROR of spiders

Yesterday afternoon we were playing outside, and one of my 3.5yo ds (twins) found a spider. Now we live in the desert, so this isn't a rarity but last night around 4am he woke up SCREAMING about spiders. He was freaking out and shrieking that they were crawling all over the floor of his room (he shares with his brother). He was jumping all over dh and me, trying to "get away" from them. We brought him in bed with us but he was still freaking out about the spiders in our bed. It took him about an hour to calm down and go to bed.

Tonight after his bath he refused to put his feet on the floor of his room because he said there were spiders. So I held him and put him on the top bunk, and then I vacuumed his floor and said I was vacuuming up all the spiders.

He and his brother are my oldest, so I've never experienced this before. Is this going to traumatize him for life? Is he going to get over this? Is there anythign I can do? Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

Looking forward to a new butt to fluff in December!
YumaDoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: 3yo suddenly has a serious TERROR of spiders

You know, I will have to watch this b/c something a little similar happened to my almost 3 yo recently. He's always loved bugs - I mean thinks their cool, pointed them out & wanted to see them on the TV. He went to play on his outdoor Little Tykes thing & shreeeeek there was a (spelling) secada casing on it & since then he won't go near his toy & me & DH tried to show him it's ok & he seriously was in a fit of being scared.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's a pretty common kid thing.

DD started this when she was about 3...and it hasn't stopped yet (she's almost 8).

She's never woken up with a nightmare about them, but she generally doesn't have nightmares so that's not surprising. there have been times when she has come across one and screamed with such horror that I thought she was hurt badly enough to need an ambulance. She did it at my dad's house, and my step mom grabbed the first aid kit on her way to find her.

I've always noted it on her forms for scout camp, and they have told me that it is the most common fear...that spider are a HUGE problem at camp because the kids are terrified. We've tried reading Charlotte's Web to help, she loved the book, but is still phobic when it comes to spiders.

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:54 AM   #4
Lasciate
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am SEVERELY arachnophobic (afraid of spiders). I don't know why. But the best thing for your child is just to comfort him when he is scared. He may grow out of it, but he may not.
Lasciate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:24 AM   #5
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

My son developed a fear of mosquitos. He swatted one that had already bit him and the blood freaked him out. Now when mosquito lands on him he screams for one of us to get it. He's not a fan of spiders but he and DH will catch them in plastic containers and check them out. I am very, very afraid of earthworms. I hate it when it rains heavily.