Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #21
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you give tylenol for fevers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccah5
Depending on your doctor's recommendations, ibuprofen (Advil) lowers fever faster. Typically if DD is running a fever, I alternate ibuprofen and Tylenol.
Same here.

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #22
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If he acts like he doesn't feel good, I give it to him. It's not going to hurt as long as you give her the dose she is suppose to have, when she is suppose to have it. Better to use the tylenol, than have her be miserable.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #23
automatik2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hope she feels better soon!

I try not to give medicine to my daughter at all. Fevers are the body's way to fight off infection, and unless it is a high fever (over 103 or 104) it doesn't need to be treated. Fevers are GOOD b/c it means the body is taking care of itself.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:28 PM   #24
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only give meds for fever if babe seems *really* out of it. Otherwise, I let the fever do what it's meant to do. A lukewarm bath often helps. Nursing a lot helps too. If the fever is really high, 103+, then I usually alternate Tylenol and Motrin. If babe can't sleep then I only give it before bed.

For the actual illness most have good natural alternatives, colds, ear infections, etc.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:06 AM   #25
Gaiaschild
Registered Users
seller

The only time I've given dd Tylenol was before vaxes. Since we started delaying vaxes 30 months ago, that's the last time I gave her tylenol.

Ds has never received Tylenol in his 16, almost 17 months of life.

A regular fever is nothing to fear. If you can ride one out one night, you'll see. Like pp have said, it's your body's natural defense mechanism to fight off infection. Just read How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor by Robert S. Md Mendelsohn . It's the first thing I reach for before calling our doctor.
Gaiaschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #26
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Motrin tastes better than Tylenol, so we tend to use that more (and for a long time, they were also the ones ones to make a dye-free version). I use it more on DS when he has a fever (and generally only at night so he can sleep more comfortably).. with DD, I've used it a few times when she has been teething because it *really* seems to help her... fevers don't tend to bother her the way they do DS (he gets super whiney and unhappy, and practically begs me for the motrin!) so I don't usually give it to her for that, but the highest fever she's ever had was only around 100... so almost not even high enough to need it.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote