Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
Moo&LaLasMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: Ms.LillyAnnzMommy
seller

My Mood:
potty trainging....

what tips do you all got ~!!

Advertisement

Andrea mother to Ms.Lilly-Ann 2/4/05
and Ms.Molly Renee 6/10/08
Proudly raising My Minis
Moo&LaLasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:
Re: potty trainging....

Do it now....once she hits 2 you will have to wait for HER to decide to train.

If shes showing signs (I read your other thread congrats on the success today!) just let her run around naked. When they are wearing underwear they may forget they arent wearing a diaper and just go, if they are naked they think about it more. Plus, its hard for them at that age to get their undies down and its just easier on everyone for them to go naked.

It will take some dedication from you. When we started out I just made sure to ask her if she wanted to sit on the potty every 15-30 minutes. If she had an accident I said "lets go sit on the potty and make sure there isnt anymore left" (which we only had 3pee and 1 poo accidents) After about 2 weeks when I felt confident enough that she had a firm grasp on it, I started asking her more like every 45 minutes. But if she said she had to go we went running to the potty!

DD loves her little potty chair, DS never used his.....So I would get a cheap potty chair and keep it in a high traffic area.

Thats about all I can think of.

Its more of a pain to PL a younger child because they need more help (pulling underwear and pants up and down) BUT...my DD PLed a whole year earlier than DS and I am LOVING it....I just let her run around naked when we are home.

Oh, and since shes so little while shes learning I would buy a portable potty insert that folds up and carry it in your purse (we got ours at walmart for like 10$) Once she knows what is going on and how to use the potty then you can start working with her on sitting on a regular toilet seat. DD has been PL'ed for like just over a month and shes now working on just sitting on the regular seat when we are out and about.

We also did M&M's (1 for pee and 3 for poo) for the first few weeks.. After she got pee down, we stopped giving them to her and she only got ones when she went poo. Then after she got good at poo we stopped those too. We only bought 1 bag of M&Ms and I think I ate about 1/2 of them!

Just dont get frustrated and just put her back in dipes. Keep your eye on the goal....that you will not have to change dipes anymore....and you will be fine.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
Moo&LaLasMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thats soo helpful... my schedule changes in 4 weeks and I will be home 3 days in a row instead of 2... so I am hoping this will help... we don't force her... we just ask her.... lilly, do you have to pee? ... sometimes she says yes... some times she says no .... I also bought the cottonell kids toliet paper ( with the puppy dog paw prints )

we are also going to do the m & m thing ... just gotta get some $ to buy em

Proudly raising My Minis
Old 09-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
RedneckWoman
Banned

My Mood:

I like what the pp said too. I also have a sort of 'big prize' as a goal for them. My son is PL right now and he LOVES Thomas. So I told him when he'd been doing good for a week, he could have some Thomas underwear. I used that and gave a gentle reminder to him every time he went. He's doing great now. The new 'big prize' for this week is a pair of boxer shorts like daddy!
RedneckWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Moo&LaLasMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

too cool....

Proudly raising My Minis
Old 09-04-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
YumaDoula
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used the book "Potty Training In Less Than One Day." You can find it on Amazon or eBay. It worked, but you have to follow it very precisely. I did not want to do weeks of nakedness or using pull-ups. I just wanted it done. It was kind of stressful (on ME) to do it so intensively, but it worked. They understood it after a few hours, and only had a couple accidents after that. I recommend it very highly but you have to follow it EXACTLY and I think it helped that I'd NEVER tried potty training them before. They had never worn underpants before.

Looking forward to a new butt to fluff in December!
YumaDoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

What worked best for us...was handing over all of the responsibility to him. But, he's 2.5yo. He turned 2 in January...and in April he'd pretty much day-trained for about 1-2 weeks. Then all of the sudden, he just stopped. He was only day-trained in the sense that he was staying dry until I took him to the potty - he wouldn't go on his own or tell me that he had to go. Then he stopped staying dry and we completely regressed. Then at exactly 2.5yo (July I think) I was talking to my grandmother on the phone...and I was talking about how I didn't understand WHY he wouldn't just make that decision and do it. Because I knew he knew when he needed to go, I knew he knew HOW to go, and showed ALL the signs of readiness except for taking that leap. And I happened to be changing his diaper at that moment. He told me he wanted to wear big boy underwear and we haven't looked back since! But the key for us has been that I don't hound him about going to the potty or ask him if he has to go...I handed all the control/responsibility over to him and it's worked beautifully for us. The first 4 days we had a couple of poo accidents, but none since. He day & night trained all at once.

I realize it won't be that easy for everybody, but it made a WORLD of difference when I gave him all the control.