Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
jeniperlyn
Registered Users
seller

sick/breastfeeding

I know i've been told that when your sick you need to continue bf'ing because then the baby gets the immunities your body is fighting off and usually doesn't end up sick BUT........I think i have the flu and i haven't been able to keep anything down all day and i'm starting to feel dehydrated. If i'm feeling dehydrated is my son still getting what he needs? I broke down and gave him a bottle earlier because he just seemed to fuss when i tried to feed him.

Advertisement

SAHM to Zachary Arthur 4/5/06 Mckenzie Elizabeth 5/14/08 our angel with wings 6/2/07 & Complete Molar Pregnancy 3/8/12 followed by ema/co (multi unit chemo). weened at 24 months DD and 12 months DS, , ...out of the loop! Baby #3 due 5/19/15.
jeniperlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: sick/breastfeeding

I had the stomach flu back in February and I continued to nurse through the whole thing. He was about 8 months old at the time, so he ate some table foods, but was relying almost solely on me until his 1st bday. I would say nurse as often as possible, drink lots of fluids even if you cannot keep them down.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:25 AM   #3
aschrimp
Registered Users

Our bodies are designed to support our babies at just about any cost to ourselves. I am pretty sure I ready somewhere that your milk production will not actually decrease significantly from dehydration until you are very severely dehydrated, however, the composition of your milk can change with even minor dehydration (possibly the body going into "famine" mode).
The biggest problem is that breastfeeding (combined with vomiting) will make you more prone to severe dehydration yourself - I would reccomend continuing to nurse, but try to drink small sips of water every couple minutes all day long to replace the water being lost both by your illness and nursing. You absorb a TON of water through your mucous membranes and stomach lining, so you don't actually have to keep it down for any length of time at all for it to do good, and honestly, I have always preferred puking up something (even water) to dry heaving. Having a little water in your stomach isn't a bad thing. The more you get in, the more will be absorbed (even if it seems like a lot of it is coming back up).

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:42 AM   #4
bgjmhg03
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the advice to keep drinking water and to nurse as much as possible. Even if it seems like the water is coming back up, your body actually absorbs quite a bit. And I really hope you feel better soon!