Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Weaning?

Ok so I waited to post about this but I need all the FB I can get. Here's the situation:

DS isn't taking to the breast very well at all... or let's say at all for the past 48 hours. I've offered over and over and over & slept w/him & no shirt & cuddled w/him & layed w/him. He loves all that but pushes away from my boob. It's been almost 48 hours & all he's taken to eat is a about half a bananna & some other fruit (we're talking the size of a babyfood jar in 2 days) & 3-4 oz of formula from DH. He even refused EBM from a bottle but sucked the formula down right away. DH flew off the handle w/me right behind him after screaming screaming screaming & when he offered EBM he didn't want it. DH made up a formula bottle & offered it & he just sucked it down.

Ok, so I've read stuff on kellymom upside down & backwards about nursing strikes... I read that most babies don't wean themselves before 1-2 years.

Also, I've been giving him Tylenol & Hyland's Teething Tablets in case it was a teething or pain issue... but that still doesn't explain the aversion to my milk all together.

I've decided to take him to the ER or doc tomorrow... I think at least... it seems like I should. I weighed him on the scale while holding him & then took my weight off & he was 18 lbs & something oz earlier this week & tonight he's 17 lbs 4 oz. His soft spot feels fine though so I am not totally sure about dehydration. He's not throwing up... no diahreah. What else... I dunno.

OBTW he's 8 mos on the 10th of this month. Any FB is greatly appreciated.

ETA: My definition of bottle isn't a bottle - we use a cup b/c he doesn't "get" the whole bottle thing.

Advertisement

Last edited by CMamma; 09-04-2006 at 09:04 PM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Weaning?

wow mama, to you and your little one. it seems as though you've really educated yourself on nursing strikes, which is absolutely what this sounds like to me. even concerning the formula vs. breastmilk. maybe somehow he's just wanting the different flavor/texture right now? very very strange though.

have you consulted a LC about this? how about your local LLL? in this case i think it would be really helpful to hear from someone who has been through the exact situation.

will he drink water? will he drink a mix of BM and formula? have you tried taking a bath with him and seeing if he will naturally gravitate towards the breast? he's a little old for that instinct, but it couldn't hurt to try. also, maybe he has a sore throat? that wouldn't really explain the preference for formula, but i'm grasping at straws here. this would so stress me out, so i feel really badly for you!

so, i think that my course of action in this situation would be:

in the meantime get him to drink what you can, which it sounds like you are.

get him to the ped asap.

contact your local LLL

and contact a LC.

i hope you get this all worked out and you go on to nurse that baby as long as your heart desires!

now i'm slapping my hand away from my keyboard and DS b/c i'm supposed to be reading for my law class tomorrow....bad heather, BAD!
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fither
wow mama, to you and your little one. it seems as though you've really educated yourself on nursing strikes, which is absolutely what this sounds like to me. even concerning the formula vs. breastmilk. maybe somehow he's just wanting the different flavor/texture right now? very very strange though.

have you consulted a LC about this? how about your local LLL? in this case i think it would be really helpful to hear from someone who has been through the exact situation.

will he drink water? will he drink a mix of BM and formula? have you tried taking a bath with him and seeing if he will naturally gravitate towards the breast? he's a little old for that instinct, but it couldn't hurt to try. also, maybe he has a sore throat? that wouldn't really explain the preference for formula, but i'm grasping at straws here. this would so stress me out, so i feel really badly for you!

so, i think that my course of action in this situation would be:

in the meantime get him to drink what you can, which it sounds like you are.

get him to the ped asap.

contact your local LLL

and contact a LC.

i hope you get this all worked out and you go on to nurse that baby as long as your heart desires!

now i'm slapping my hand away from my keyboard and DS b/c i'm supposed to be reading for my law class tomorrow....bad heather, BAD!
I just left a message w/my LLL leader... waiting to hear back on that.

The bath thing - of course I can't take a bath (had surgery this week & not allowed yet dangit).

I dunno WHY I didn't think to attempt a mix of BM & formula. DUH. See that's why it's great to post here... sometimes the most obvious things just fly right over your head. THANKS! It ended up working. He took a mix out of a cup ok. I dunno why he even likes the formula at all though - it's that yucky Alimentum & tastes like dirt to me. Ugh.

A friend said something about possible my hormone levels being off & he can taste/sense it? Anyone heard of this? I've been googling about it... like maybe AF is coming & he can tell the hormone difference. Or I had a D&C & maybe somehow that put my body out of wack hormonally? Grasping at straws here so anyone w/experiences, I am dying to hear from you.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Stuff to look for with dehydration:
1) plenty of wet diapers?
2) soft spot not sunken?
3) mouth not dry?
4) makes tears when crying?
5) poop still moist?

If he's still ok in all those categories, I wouldn't worry about dehydration at all. It really sounds like just a nursing strike to me.

You said you just had surgery: are you on pain meds or any other meds? That could affect the taste of your milk and that could be part of the problem.

Good job on mixing the BM and formula! The more BM he gets the better, even if it's mixed - every ounce is a gift. Make sure you are pumping or hand expressing when he's not nursing so your supply doesn't drop.

That's all I got.
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

My friend's little on is 9 months and went through a strike when she had some teeth coming in-- it was a strike from breast as well as food.

My son started refusing my BM (I pumped exclusively) when I got pregnant-- he knew before I did, same when my period returned. Took a week or so for him to go back--
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

I would say that if it began after you had your d&c then it is most likely associated with that. That is the only thing that I can figure since he is taking the formula fine. I don't think he is trying to wean. I'll be anxious to see what the LLL leader says about it.
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMegan
My son started refusing my BM (I pumped exclusively) when I got pregnant-- he knew before I did, same when my period returned. Took a week or so for him to go back--
Don't say such things to me! LOL We're done.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:54 AM   #8
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg_mommy
You said you just had surgery: are you on pain meds or any other meds? That could affect the taste of your milk and that could be part of the problem.
Nope I didn't take any pain meds!

Talked to my LLL & she told me take him to the doc (which I did). She said he could be weaning but hopefully it's just a strike.

Ped did bloodwork, etc. They're concerned about his weight issues. They said he doesn't appear dehydrated & he can even me getting liquids from the foods so that's good... but he may have some sort of imbalance... I dunno waiting to hear back on it.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:09 AM   #9
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

How did things come out?
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #10
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy
How did things come out?
I should hear back from the Ped w/test results today. I'll update when I hear!