Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
ajfowle
Registered Users
seller

Wool...is more $$ better quality?

I have a little bit of pp burning a hole in my cyberpocket, and I want to try wool longies at night as pajama bottoms on my dd. I have enough pp now to buy a pair of llamajamas. I see other stuff that is much more expensive, though. *I* thought $30 for the llamajamas was a lot!

So here are my options (because I don't see myself ever shelling out $60-70 bucks.)
1) Go for instant gratification and order a pair of llamajamas
2) Wait and continue to stalk the "Everything Wool" list waiting for an affordable, high quality pair to come up for sale.
3) Get lucky and have one of you smart mamas recommend a good, affordable WAHM knitter (or offer up your large longies for $30 or less.)

Thanks,
Amanda

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
lovencloth
Registered Users
seller

Location: MN, I have cats, but they don't smoke, and neither do we.
Re: Wool...is more $$ better quality?

Their was recently a thread on here about lamajama, I did not read it, but the title looked negative. Here is option #4, ask mama's here for a good brand to stalk on ebay. Sometimes wool goes pretty inexpensively on ebay!
Old 05-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Birdee
Registered Users
seller

I think llamajamas are a good "starter" wool to see if you like using it, if it works for your dc. Of course I am always one for instant gratification
Birdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
mama23boys
Banned
seller

i just found this today-the hyenna forum FSOT list! there was a mama selling a LOT of wool stuff!! good luck in your search!
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
suzhatch1
Registered Users
seller

I actually purchased some Llamajama longies & soakers when they were on sale for "instant wool gratification" and really like them alot. I have also purchased some WAHM wool & some more expensive Hyena cart wool pieces, and I find that all of the pieces are very nice, and IMO the Llamajama is actually nicer than a few of the more expensive pieces I've gotten.

I think it all depends on design & color, as long as you are getting good, true wool made by someone who is a reputable knitter, I think you'll be happy as long as you love the look of it!!
suzhatch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #6
Pocket_Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If a good knitting wahm sold longies for $30, she'd be doing it for about a dollar or less an hour. They take time!
Pocket_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
MilkOnDemand
Registered Users
seller

I'm on the less expensive side and I can't make any money charging only $30 for longies. I guess if I used fishermans wool and dyed it and was doing it as a bit of a gift, but for longies I want to use something softer, higher quality, kwim?

Llamajama's are nice wool. They are knit down in Equador I think, and the women there are paid a fair wage - I just can't do it that cheap

Check the FSOT, look for some recycled?

I bought a gorgeous pair of Mediums from Tiskin's Trousers for about $50 shipped, and it was worth it to me. A good pair of longies can be worn over and over and over, and then when you are done with them you can still recoup some of your money.
MilkOnDemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:13 AM   #8
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to add that my favorite longies (and wool in general) are from the wonderful WAHM who posted right above me. And I heard a rumor that she has custom slots open.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:11 AM   #9
ajfowle
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mamas! I bought a sweet pea soaker on FSOT. I had no idea how long knitting took. I'm all for WAHMs charging what their product merits. I was in sales in my pre-mommy days and hated when competitors undersold their service. It wasn't fair and it demeaned our business. I'm so excited to get my first wool soon...I hope I love it, but in a way I would rather just *like* it so I don't develop another expensive addiction!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
quixb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfowle
Thanks mamas! I bought a sweet pea soaker on FSOT. I had no idea how long knitting took. I'm all for WAHMs charging what their product merits. I was in sales in my pre-mommy days and hated when competitors undersold their service. It wasn't fair and it demeaned our business. I'm so excited to get my first wool soon...I hope I love it, but in a way I would rather just *like* it so I don't develop another expensive addiction!:hehe2:

HAHAHA Good luck with that!! You are gonna love it like the rest of us! I know what you mean though!! I am glad you found some you like! I LOVE my wool
quixb is offline   Reply With Quote