Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #11
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chest freezer?

I definitely like the uprights SO much better. They are awesome for storing food, and can be organized really efficiently.

I don't know about finding used ones---maybe the newspaper, Craigslist, Outlet furniture stores??

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

We have a chest one. They are more economial, cost less to buy and cost less to run AND if you lose your power it takes longer for them to become too warm...the retain the "freeze" better!

We bought the one we have now at Home Depot....they are not that expensive at all. I had an older one that belonged to my mother and it was not as economical as the newer ones they have now...that's why you see a lot of people getting rid of the older freezers. They use alot of electricity to keep stuff frozen....just something to keep in mind. Free is not always better in the long run! I gave away my older one for free!
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #13
sewingmama2005
Banned
seller

A chest freezer is much more energy effecient than an upright because when you open it the "cold" stays in. With an upright when you open it the "cold" rushes out the door and uses more energy to cool it again....but an upright is sooooo much more conveneint, no digging through 2 feet of frozen food to get to something in the bottom.
sewingmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #14
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharebear2u
One thing to think about. If you are short it will probably be a problem to get stuff off the bottom. Both DH and I are on the tallish side, so we have no problem. Now, if MIL came over (5'1") she would probably tip over and end up inside trying to get something off the bottom.
Thats me If we had a chest freezer, I'd probably have to climb right inside to get anything out lol We have an upright and I love it

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #15
Cranberrycove
Registered Users
seller

A freezer is definitely worth the money. I had a smaller chest one and it worked great, then we needed to upgrade. We upgraded to a stand up one. I really don't like it. I was better organized with the chest freezer. Also, another thing to consider is that chest freezers close automatically (the weight of the door keeps it closed). It is a very good thing if you have the freezer crammed full. I found the door of our upright one open a few inches last week. I usually lock it, but forgot that one time. All it takes is once to lose a whole year's worth of food. Next time I'm definitely buying a chest freezer.
Cranberrycove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:22 AM   #16
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=masonite]I definitely like the uprights SO much better. They are awesome for storing food, and can be organized really efficiently.

QUOTE]

Very easy to clean as well. We keep a constant rotation of the fresh in the back and the older up front. So easy. Lot's of shish and shrimp and local markdowns to keep sorted. Also I freeze bread and milk so it is perfect for us.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote