Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Student Mom looking for quick meal ideas that can be frozen for 2people

Hi ladies.

Im a single student mom and I am trying really hard to to resort to processed food as much as possible. My little guy loves pasta and casseroles are good as well.. Anyone with some good recipe suggestions that freeze well?
Thanks in Advance ~Marissa

CDFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Student Mom looking for quick meal ideas that can be frozen for 2people

not sure how old your little guy is or if he'd like it, but for my husband and I, I usually make a big pot of chili and freeze it in small plastic containers. Meatloaf and sloppy joes might work too if he's a carnivore like my husband!
Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.
John Wesley
AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

two of my favorite freezeable recipes

Veggie Chili
I make this about once every other week- it's in my all-time top ten - I serve with fritos and sour cream. YUM!

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
5 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup diced red bell pepper (about 1 medium)
1 cup diced green bell pepper (about 1 medium)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese

Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes. Add chili powder and next 7 ingredients (chili powder through jalapeño), and cook 1 minute. Add water and next 5 ingredients (water through tomatoes), and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls, and top each serving with cheese.
Note: This chili can be made ahead and frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, let the chili cool completely in the refrigerator; place the chili in heavy-duty plastic bags, remove excess air, seal, and freeze. Thaw chili in the refrigerator. Cook over medium heat or in microwave until thoroughly heated.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups chili and 2 tablespoons cheese)

__________________________________________________ ________
Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Spaghetti squash may look funny, but it's chock full of vitamins and minerals, especially carotenes - so don't be afraid to try it. This vegetarian casserole is low in calories and fat, and very satisfying as a main dish. Add a mixed green salad and some whole grain bread and you've got a great meal.

1 spaghetti squash
2 large carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
Red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch of ground allspice
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 pound part-skim mozzarella
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Place the spaghetti squash in a large pot of water (it should float) and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and boil gently for 50 minutes.

2. Another option is to bake the squash first. Cut it lengthwise and place the halves skin-side down in a baking dish with an inch of water. Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350º F for about 45 minutes, or until meat is tender.

3. While squash is cooking, peel and slice the carrots, celery, onion and bell pepper.

4. Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the onion and carrot, with some water to prevent sticking. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add remaining vegetables with some red pepper flakes and a dash of salt, if desired. Sauté, stirring frequently, till vegetables are barely tender, about 10 minutes.

5. Add crushed tomatoes, basil and oregano to taste, and a sprinkle of ground allspice. Squeeze in 2-5 cloves of garlic. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, grate the mozzarella and Parmesan.

6. Remove squash from pot or oven and allow to cool until you can handle it. If it is whole, cut it in half lengthwise, then remove seeds with a spoon and squeeze any excess water out of meat.

7. Remove meat and break it up into strands with a fork or potato masher. Mix squash well with vegetables and put half in the bottom of a large baking dish. Top with half the cheeses, the rest of the squash, and then the rest of the cheeses.

8. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned. Let cool 15-20 minutes before serving.

And this one's just super-fast and easy.

Tortilla Soup

2 cups tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup bottled salsa
1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon instant minced garlic
1 (15.75-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
30 fat-free baked tortilla chips

Combine first 9 ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes. Serve with cheese and tortilla chips.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups soup, about 3 tablespoons cheese, and 5 tortilla chips)
__________________________________________________ _
Brandy, Mom to Natalya 7.12.05, Zachary, 11.6.08 and ~Margaret Elizabeth~, our angel 7.2.07 at 31 weeks
ISO Imse Vimse medium covers, ESP old-style day and night covers and Thirsties medium covers
Mom2Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:08 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Thank you ladies, very helpful! btw my little one is 15months
CDFreak is offline   Reply With Quote