Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

I'm having a bad mommy day

I took 2 and half yo ds to story time at the library today. We had to leave because he wouldn't behave. He didn't pay any attention to the activities that were going on. It was a toddler story time so it wasn't like they had to sit and be still the whole time. It was a participation thing. He would not sit and be still. I let him walk around a bit but then he started running and getting disruptive. I tried to take him to the back of the room but I could feel a meltdown coming so we just left. I feel like I have failed as a parent because all the other kids participated and paid attention. Ds knew I was mad when we left and I made him go to bed when we got home. Please tell me this gets better, that he will eventually behave, that he is not incorrigible. I am just so discouraged because I saw all the other kids behaved and mine wasn't.

Advertisement

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm having a bad mommy day

i am so right with you mama
my ds is 2 1/2 also and not too long ago i had him in a play group and all the kids there behaved SOO well and here is my son being disruptive and eventually throwing himself on the floor and having a temper tantrum. this went on every time we went until we stopped going.
I hope this is just a phase.
I will definitely be watching this thread
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

momma. BTDT.

Being removed from this situation of yours I can say, try to see it from his point of view. He wasn't in the mood. He was more in the mood to do others things yet being a toddler has precious little control over what he does in things like this. Right?
What if you guys had left and gone to the playground to run the yayas out? You all probably would've felt better.

Does that make sense? Sometimes I literally have to stop my day - pull the plug - start over depending on the mood of ds and myself. When I do that and follow the mood/tempermant of the day things almost invariably get much, much better.

Go play, go be silly, go let him be a toddler. He has plenty of time to sit or wander, at storytime. to both of you.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

im sorry mama, we just were there yesterday only i went to old navy with the kids to look at there halloween costumes and danny was running all OVER the store! i kepyt calling him and hed come and ten run off again, i hated every minute of it, dh talked to him last night and he appologized and hugged me, im not sure he understands that a store isnt a place to run and he did understand i was upset, the only reason i didnt up and leave was because i needed to get this costume before the store ran out of his size.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Nathan is the same age and he definitely has his days. It's a hit or miss type of thing and some days it's a good day for a library visit and others it's more of a playground day. I think it's best to just go with the flow with smaller children as they "dance to their own beat" KWIM? So I don't believe they are trying to be naughty, it's just in their nature to explore new places, to get their excessive wigglies out and to do their own thing as they are new to independence.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancifulFanny
momma. BTDT.

Being removed from this situation of yours I can say, try to see it from his point of view. He wasn't in the mood. He was more in the mood to do others things yet being a toddler has precious little control over what he does in things like this. Right?
What if you guys had left and gone to the playground to run the yayas out? You all probably would've felt better.

Does that make sense? Sometimes I literally have to stop my day - pull the plug - start over depending on the mood of ds and myself. When I do that and follow the mood/tempermant of the day things almost invariably get much, much better.

Go play, go be silly, go let him be a toddler. He has plenty of time to sit or wander, at storytime. to both of you.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Red face Re: I'm having a bad mommy day

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancifulFanny
momma. BTDT.

I need to practice that more often!!!!
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
stellar225
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have SO been there! When Jakob was 2 we tried the library's story hour, and I swear he was the ONLY kid who didn't want to do the motions, sit still, or anything except run around and play. I finally gave up. He started preschool this year though and he has come a LONG way as far as wanting to be part of a group, listen, and participate.