Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
MommyMilktm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Am I crazy? I want to try re-breastfeeding my 1yo

OK long story short: I had to start taking meds when my son was 9 months old and I had cut back on nursing during the day and was just nursing him through the night. He decided (when I would try) that he no longer wanted to nurse during the day after about 2 weeks of no day nursings. At that point I stopped the meds and tried to resume full time breastfeeding...with no luck . He just would not nurse, and then he even started refusing at night. I tried for a couple of weeks to get him to nurse and he was just completely "yucked" by me.
I did have one night that I tricked him but it was only once.

Anyway on to now, he is 13 months and it's 4 months since he has nursed but every once and a while he'll put his face against my chest and open his mouth like he's looking to latch. I tried to BF him one time when he did this and he backed his head up and was like "no way lady!". He still continues this open mouth thing on my skin.
I can still express a couple of drops of golden liquid from my breasts and always had over supply issues while I was nursing. So I hope that I could maybe re-lactate, but more of a concern is getting him to actually nurse again.

Has anyone tried to get an older infant/child to nurse again when they look at your boob like a disgusting thing?? Or do you know anyone who has?

I would really like to do this and I would love to hear stories about anyone who has done this with a child that was a little older. Any advice anyone can offer would be so great.

Do you think this is even possible considering I tried to get him to nurse today while he was sleepy and he clamped him mouth shut time after time.

I'm just so confused but I really want this

Thank you all in advance!!

Advertisement

♥ Breast Milk Pendants ♥My ISO MommyMilk® Creations ~Nursing/maternity tanks/night shirts, Tutu's, crayon rolls, coffee cozies and more!~ Donate broken crayons to Crayons for Cancer, please PM me for info.
MommyMilktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I crazy? I want to try re-breastfeeding my 1yo

Just keep trying! I think it's a great idea. I'd say the best way to relactate is to get him to keep trying, and pump a few times a day.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
corey0902
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I successfully relactated when my dd was 8 months old. I had EBF until she was 4 months and, due to circumstances with my job, started giving more and more supplements until eventually I was just formula feeding. I guess she was 6 months by then. When she was 7 months I had a breakdown and poured my heart out to my dh and told him that I was devastated with what had happened. I jumped into BF with both feet. I changed jobs, starting taking herbs/meds, and rented a hospital grade pump. I pumped around the clock and on 11/11/07 I was able to get her back to the breast. She was taking my BM by bottle but it wasn't until I had almost a full supply that she would take my breast again. Now she is almost 14 mo and we're still nursing. It was the best decision I've ever made. It was a lot of hard work but definitely worth it in the end. If you want additional info on how I did it, what herbs/meds I took, just pm me. I'd be glad to help. GL
Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
duckpondsunset
Registered Users
Formerly: duckpondatdusk
seller

My Mood:

I haven't been in this situation, but no you're not crazy! Go for it! If you're successful it will be great for your son!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pump/express like crazy and keep trying
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
juclark77
Registered Users

What I've found most helpful is to have my child watch other children breastfeed. The LeLeche League around here has a toddler nursing group. SOmething like that may be helpful for you. Kids like to do what other kids are doing. I have more info, but would like to keep it somewhat private. Please message me if you are interested.
juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
sheri77
Registered Users
seller

My son was very similar, after weaning himself at 10 months, and then starting daycare and of course getting sick all the time, I repeatedly tried to get him to latch again, with no success. So, I thought I would pump and give him the milk through his preferred route-bottle. The end result...I still got the BM into him, just not my preferred route, but I did have to listen to his signals after all, and he was telling me he was done. Boohoo for me
sheri77 is offline   Reply With Quote