Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DH and I need a break, but DS is still BFing...

You have got to start at some point - try a couple of hours (like having him skip one nursing session) and then build up to a weeknd away. Some children can not take "cold turkey" and he may be one.

BUT, saying that . . . he will miss you but not die w/o you. Give your mom some earplugs and spend some time eating, drinking and being merry :-)

I do mean eating . . . weighing that little and BF must be so hard on you .

Advertisement

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
bama
Registered Users
seller

Go! And have fun!
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
butter07
Registered Users
seller

Yea-go have fun! I have a DS the same age as yours and I too am being eaten alive, so to speak! Are you taking a calcium supplement? My Dr told me that after a yr of bfing, it affects your bone density! I have never been gone overnight from ds but do work away from home a few hrs at a time a few nights a week and ds always waited to drink anything until I returned! He started taking a cup a few days ago-we tried many different ones and the best for him to use was Nuby and Avent, we used watered-down juice...cow's milk wasn't cutting it, during the training stages. Now he will take a cup w cow's milk and I offer it to him during the day...it hasn't replace me though. But he is happy to drink it while I am gone-phew!

I think that what you said about him turning away from food sounds like teething...Noah def won't drink from his cup/eat when teething. So, we give him Motrine or Tylenol and that helps-esp when I am away!

All that being said...I am going to Cancun in June for 4 nights and am planning to pump while gone. My mom and dh will give Noah milk from his cup (obviously!) And I am hoping all will go alright! He is VERY easy going when feeling well...best of luck!
butter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #14
mdeveer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all of the advice. I think it's teeth now, too. Poor kid had the 8 (4 on top and 4 on bottom) all the way in before hitting 12 months, and now 3 of the 4 molars in are! Maybe that was part of the problem, too. For the first two, he was excited about chewing, so I assumed he enjoyed it to help with the teething, but maybe after awhile it started to hurt more than help. Thanks for sharing that idea. I'll keep the meds handy.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You know, I would wait. There is something going on with him and unfortunately he can't tell you exactly what it is. Heck, he probably doesn't even know, BUT what he does know is that mommy is there for him and provides food and comfort - THE most important 2 things you can provide for him. Yes, he is over a year old, BUT that doesn't mean he is ready to wean or that he doesn't need to nurse. Nursing is more than just food. It is attachment, bonding, and comfort. If he is going through a rough time right now the last thing you want to do is to leave him.

Don't leave him stranded just b/c it is a special day, he needs you the most right now. Atleast your husband can understand, he can't.

I'm sure you and dh need a break, but mama, they are only this age once and it goes so fast. It is exhausting and a lot of work, but it is so worth it in the end.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #16
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

I went away for 4 days (long days if you ask my ods and dh). My son was 15 months. He's an all night nurser, so I wasn't sure how'd he do.

He did great!!!!!

I thought he'd "forget" how to nurse. I was wrong. We're going on 17 months tomorrow! He loves his mommy milk!
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
mdeveer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_n_ben View Post
I went away for 4 days (long days if you ask my ods and dh). My son was 15 months. He's an all night nurser, so I wasn't sure how'd he do.

He did great!!!!!

I thought he'd "forget" how to nurse. I was wrong. We're going on 17 months tomorrow! He loves his mommy milk!
WOW! Did you leave much expressed milk? Since it'll be 24 hours or less for us and he throws the cup with other milk, I'm considering not...
Old 05-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #18
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son likes it straight from the tap . I think I left about 40 oz. He was drinking regular milk too and water and just started drinkig juice before I left.

I went to work when he was 6 weeks old, so he is use to having dh feed him during the day. He usually wakes up 3-4 times at night to nurse, but he only woke up one or two times and dh was able to give him the expressed milk in the bottle.

He did a great job. My dh didn't tell me that he missed m (ok, dh said he missed me, but didn't tell me if LO did). He wanted me to relax and not think about home. It was hard. I didn't have a great time. I was at a work conference.

I would try and go, try a few hours....then try again in a few weeks.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #19
MarinesFamily5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am in the same boat!
MarinesFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #20
mdeveer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: UPDATE!! DH and I need a break, but DS is still BFing...

For PP, update in first post!