Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Need Advice - Engorgement issue

Hi Ladies... hope you can offer me some advice.

My daughter is 5 days old and is nursing great and gaining weight wonderfully, but I have such a large supply (I'm very lucky), she's having a hard time latching on because I'm so engorged. I've been trying to nurse her on just one side, and then pump myself out (and getting around 8 oz).

I feel like this is just a circle though... the more I pump out to make myself feel better and her to nurse better, it just comes back with even more. Do I just have to be engorged for a few days? Do I just pump a little and leave some in there?

Thanks for any advice!!

Wife to Tim - SAHM to Evan (6) and Norah (3)
Heathlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Need Advice - Engorgement issue

I was engorged for a few days when the milk first came in - I think it will get better. If latching is a problem, try pumping a bit before nursing rather than after, to make you more "latchable." You can still pump afterwards if you need to, for your own comfort, and to store up milk if you want to. Otherwise I would try to minimize the pumping by slowly cutting back to pumping fewer and fewer nursing sessions. HTH!
SAHMama to three!
imamama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

First, and congrats on bf'ing!!

Second, YIKES!!! Stop pumping afterwards!!!!!!

Breastfeeding is a supply/demand thing. The more the baby nurses the more milk your body will make. If baby nurses, your body will make more milk for her, if you pump an additional 8 oz out AFTER she nurses, your body is going to make what she nursed out AND those additional 8 oz. You are in a vicous cycle right now.

Engorgement is completely normal and just after your milk comes in very par for the course for a good week or so, UNLESS you are signaling your body to make extra milk. Then it will take longer to get the supply/demand evened out.

My suggestion would be to stop pumping after she nurses. All you are doing is signaling your body to make more milk. I would, however, pump just enough BEFORE she nurses to latch her on. This is not much, just so your breasts aren't as hard as rocks. You want to be able to soften up the aereola for her to latch on correctly. If she isn't latching on deeply enough and can't if you are too engorged then you will have VERY sore nipples.

How often are you nursing? Newborns should nurse about every 45 min -1 1/2 hours. I wouldn't let her go anymore than 2 1/2 hours during the day. They also nurse for a long time and you may feel like all you are doing is nursing, BUT....that is what you are supposed to be doing. You are on your babymoon which is supposed to consist of resting and nursing. If you are extremely uncomfortable inbetween feedings, then you can pump just a TINY bit to releive some of the pain and pressure, but that is all!!

If you have any questions, please ask!!
sahm to 3 little women and 1 little man who keep me extremely busy and take all of my time away from here!
I have LOTS of toys to sell....My Little Pony, Fisher Price ramp & speedway, Littlest Pet Shop, you name it I probably have it! PM me!
ajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Registered Users

Thank you for posting this! I was wondering how long the engorgement phase would last as I didn't BF last time very long.

Our girls were born a day apart as well
Victoria Christian mom to Amelia (Millie) and Susannah , wife to Zack
DD- 4/11/06
ladyvno is offline   Reply With Quote