Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #21
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Limit Feeding Time?

smile...nod...and do what you feel is best! at least thats what I do. the LC in my area said 15-20min minimum from each side per feeding per every 2-3 hours when they are little. My 2mo ds pretty much eats/nurses/is attached 24/7 (especially now that we have nursing laying down mastered). I let him eat whenever he wants and for as long as he wants and that way when I do need to put him down to care for my 3 year old, get stuff done around the house or run somewhere, I know he isn't hungry. I also am starting to see how my 3 year old needs me less and less and I realize how short this time is and so I try to enjoy this time with my 2 month old before its gone. I keep reminding myself that in the near future, my boys will NOT want to be with me, as all teenager are embarrassed by their parents!

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #22
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Limit Feeding Time?

http://www.ameda.com/files/pdfs/podcasts_milksupply.pdf or http://breastfeedingmadesimple.com/ thought this had some interesting info, including that diff. women have diff. milk holding capacities and so the more your breast=tissue can hold, the more your baby gets from one side. so some moms whose breasts can hold a lesser max of milk will need to feed baby more often or at night. very interesting! thank you for posting it under links AshersMom!

here is just a bit of it..worth reading the whole thing online
Nancy S. Mohrbacher: It can if you let your breasts stay full for too long, so that’s
another good reason to feed frequently. The other side of it though that relates to the
individual differences is something that’s called breast storage capacity. Breast storage
capacity is how much milk your breasts can comfortably hold in the milk-producing
tissues.
Elisabeth McLaury Lewin: Now, does that have to do with being large-breasted or amply
endowed?
Nancy S. Mohrbacher: Not necessarily because breast size actually is determined
more by the amount of fatty tissue in the breast and what we’re talking about here is the
room in the milk-producing tissues. So it’s possible that a woman could be small
breasted and still have a large storage capacity. But what that means if a woman has a
large storage capacity is it takes longer for her to feel full. So in other words, you might
have a mom- I remember once I visited a mom who wanted to buy a breast pump and
she was sitting and we were talking and she had a baby about three months old who
looked like the Michelin baby, you know, big rolls of fat.
Elisabeth McLaury Lewin: And his rolls of fat had some rolls of fat?
Nancy S. Mohrbacher: Yes, exactly. And so I was so impressed and I said to the
mother, “How many times a day are you breastfeeding?” And she looked me right in the
eye and she said, “Five.” And I was just shocked. I was a new lactation consultant at
that time and I thought my head was going to explode because that was counter to
everything that I thought was true. But in her case, clearly, in fact when she used the
breast pump, she was getting lots and lots of milk very, very quickly; she was a mom who
had a large storage capacity. So those moms often have babies who will only want to
take one breast at a feeding because they get so much at each feeding and yet feeding
infrequently will not slow down their milk supply because their breasts never get to the
point of really feeling full for a very, very long time. So that’s why you could have two
next-door neighbors, one of whom has a baby who feeds every four hours. That’s very
unusual, but she probably has a large storage capacity and her baby’s thriving and doing
well. And then her neighbor has a baby who needs to still feed eight to ten times a day
even at three months or four months or five months and that may be because that
mother, much like myself when I had babies, has a small storage capacity. And the
mothers with the small storage capacity, they still produce plenty of milk for their babies,
but for example, if their breasts only hold two ounces per breast, then the baby will
The Ameda “Milk Supply: Fact and Fiction” podcast
11/13/07 Page 7 of 12
always probably need to take two breasts at a feeding or they may also be babies who
need to feed frequently at night for many, many months and they’re not going to
necessarily sleep through like the neighbor’s baby.
Elisabeth McLaury Lewin: Okay. What’s the best way then to sort of figure out- it sounds
like it doesn’t necessarily matter whether you have a small storage capacity or a large
storage capacity as long as the baby gets fed adequately. And for many mothers, they
really worry that they are feeding the baby adequately. I guess breastfeeding is one of
those things where you don’t measure it out, you can’t necessarily tell how much goes in
except by sort of seeing in diaper output how much is coming back out and is baby
gaining and looking hydrated and feeling well, so what do we do to sort of help reassure
that in most situations there is enough milk and it’s a question of just managing the
supply so that it’s just as much as baby needs?
Nancy S. Mohrbacher: Well, the best way to know is by doing a weight check with the
baby. And most mothers are taking the babies to the pediatrician or the family practice
doctor on a regular basis anyway. So when they do that, they can see is the baby
gaining normally. And what you expect to see in the first three to four months is a weight
gain of about six ounces a week. That would be average. And no matter what else is
happening with that mother and baby in terms of breastfeeding, if the baby is gaining at
that rate, then the mother can know that she’s doing just fine in terms of her milk supply.
It’s not possible for a mother to have a low milk supply and a baby who’s gaining well.
And that’s something I think a lot of people are confused about.
Elisabeth McLaury Lewin: So you could pretty quickly reassure yourself that baby is
gaining.
Nancy S. Mohrbacher: Yes.

Last edited by mommyofnoah; 06-01-2008 at 02:21 PM.
mommyofnoah is offline   Reply With Quote