Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Help! Nurse to Nap with sleep fighter

I swear our little man fights sleep. He tries to keep his eyes open. For over a month he would not take a nap...at all...and he was not sleeping through the night. He is only 5.5 months old now, and it is very obvious now when he is tried a needs a nap, but I always have to nurse him...which is okay but then to keep him sleeping usually I have to keep holding him and letting him suckle for the next hour+
Sometimes now he has even started fighting the breast when he is tired..like he knows what is coming. He'll suck a little then push way, holding on to the nipple and cry with his eyes closed. Then he usually puts his hand in his mouth briefly then starts the process again. I've never had a forceful let down, so I don't think that is the problem, but its not a lack of milk either because when he pulls away milk runs on his face.
What should I try?
I hate to let him cry much, even in his fun swing, but my nipples are getting so sore with this habbit...usually 2 or 3 times a day, for the past 2 wks. before he had learned to nurse drowsy and then sleep in his swing

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 10:29 AM   #2
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help! Nurse to Nap with sleep fighter

it is hard when they fight going to sleep.

what i do when i start to get worn out with the nursing is to take a break. get up & walk them around, dance, etc. sometimes when it's really bad i put dd in the stroller/sling and take her for a walk. i've also resorted to driving around in the car until she falls asleep and then parking somewhere (with a book) for awhile. i think sometimes when they get overly tired it can become a vicious cycle and you gotta do what you have to to get them to sleep some.

eta - i wouldn't let him cio...but that's just my opinion.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

Do you have a sling or carrier of any sort? Try tucking him in there and going for a nice long walk, should put him to sleep. Or try a stroller ride...I've heard of mommas using a stroller in the house, rocking it back and forth over a "bump" in a doorway or something to put the baby to sleep.

You might find it helpful to nurse him until he's sleepy, then gently break the suction with your finger -- some mommas find it helpful to keep pressure on the jaw with a finger or something for a minute after unlatching -- if he starts to fuss, latch him on again, wait a minute, repeat...if you keep repeating this consistently, he will get used to falling asleep without a nipple in his mouth. Takes time and patience, but it truly works!

Also, sounds like he might be heading into the early teething stages...chewing on his hands, wanting to comfort nurse...is he drooling more? Sleeping restlessly? Are the gums swollen? If he's uncomfy from teething it could definitely affect his sleeping habits. There's some gentle homeopathic remedies you could try if you think teething is the problem. (Hylands is great, so are the Boiron products.)

HTH, hang in there!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He HATES a sling...he looks like a traped wilderbeast! thanks for all the suggestions and yes he does drool like crazy. Over a month ago the lactation consulatant suggested he was teething..but no teeth yet, so I really don't know. And he does chomp everything he can fit into his mouth. However he is putting in good nights so I am thankful for that. It has been worse with him and his nursing so I shouldn't complain too much.
Keep the suggestions coming....I'm going to put them to good use
Old 05-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

Teething can really bother some babies...depends on the baby, I think, just like some adults tolerate discomfort better than others, kwim?

If you haven't, definitely try the Hylands or Boiron teething products, they made a HUGE difference for my boys. Maybe give him a chilled teething toy to chew on shortly before napttime to help take the edge off so he can sleep?

I'll keep trying to think of ideas for ya!