Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
MMR vaccine for tot and a preggo mama?

Regardless of anyone's views on vaccinating and MMR in particular, I have a serious question about MMR vaccine.

If I'm pregnant and my DD is due for the MMR vaccine, should we delay it until after the baby arrives, since it's a live vaccine?

I can't remember offhand if DD had the MMR at 15 mos or not. I suspect she did, but since we have the 18 mos visit coming up I thought I'd ask around. I can't find any info on the internet, or maybe I just don't google well.

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
mjokirk
Registered Users
seller

Re: MMR vaccine for tot and a preggo mama?

YES WAIT!! Rubella is bad news for pregnant women.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our doctor does MMR at 12 months and I was pregnant when both boys got theirs.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say go with your gut. I had the same concern, dd got her shot when we were ttc. According to my midwife and dd's pedi. If I had my vax's I should be fine and they have never seen an older sibling give it to a younger one who had not yet been vax'd or a parent. My dd broke out in red spots after her vax, to my surprise the nurse admitted it must be from the vax and no one else around us caught anything. But that is a tough call so if you are close to being due than you may want to wait. Hopefully you were vaxed and will be passing some antibodies on to new baby when your dd gets her vax so the newborn is safe.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD got her MMR when I was newly pregnant. Can't remember if I knew at the time or not, but I checked with a dear friend whose hubby is a ped and he saw no problem. I was/am nursing so I was definitely exposed.

One thing I HIGHLY advise is giving her lots of vitamin C the day before, the day of and for several days after. This will help her body to process the vax quickly and effectively. My DD didn't even spike a fever and she acted normally. She hated the taste, but it was worth it to not have her get sick. If you're nursing, you can take vitamin C as well.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Delay it. Better for your daughter anyways, but yes, with you being pregnant I would not let her receive it to keep the baby safer.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
AmyCivic80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you immune to rubella? If so, I wouldn't see any reason why your LO shouldn't get the vaccine.
Amy, wife to Greg and proud mommy to Cailin Avery (5/6/07), Kylie Elise (12/20/08), and baby #3 (due 10/11/11).
AmyCivic80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you were to delay it, how long would you delay it? Since you're vaxxing, I'm assuming it's important to your family. If you don't do it now, are you comfortable waiting until it's safe for you as pregnant mama and then for the new infant you're having next winter?

These are questions only you and your hubby can answer.

For us, it was worth the risk to me to get it for DD on schedule because we would not have been okay with waiting until it was safe for the new baby to be exposed. We'd rather just have it over with.

HTH this helps a bit. This really is a personal choice and one that I'm sure you've thought about. I just wanted to share our thought process from a couple months ago when we were in your shoes.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote