Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

here we go again ...

Since birth my son has had many issues and we quit breastfeeding at just 2 measley weeks because my cesearean busted open and i was scared to try anymore since he wouldn't latch onto me anyway due to being in the NICU were they wouldn't let me breastfeed on express my milk to be feed to him ... anyways we tried every milk based formula and he would SCREAM til he threw it up then we tried lactose free no better than we ventured to soy and that was awful 2 1/2 months of no sleep literally and tons of vomit he lost 12lbs. then we got on Elecare an amino based formula that had seemed to work good for the 3 months he has been on it until recently (2 weeks ago) he started getting hot and sweaty when he would drink his formula like 102 and would scream until he got it all threw up but we gave it two weeks to make sure it wasn't something else he ate or a virus its still happening so this morning i called my idiot dr so we can go in and have him checked i dont know what they are going to do now he is going to be 10months old the 21st so i dont think we can start whole milk or that he can even handle whole milk ... i missed my WIC appt Friday b/c of this and now I am sure we are going to have to go up there and beg the women to see us today so he can get another 60.00 formula to throw up

sorry i am rambling i am just very confused

anybody have a 10month non vac'ed child start whole milk early ???

Advertisement

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Beaker
Registered Users
seller

Re: here we go again ...

First let me say that I would not have let the hospital tell me I could not give my baby breastmilk. As for starting on milk early, I wouldn't do it, but I'm no DR. I hope things get better for both of you.
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

i know i had issues with the NICU letting me BF, but they had no issues with me pumping-- so poo on your NICU.

i wouldnt give milk early.. can you maybe try goats milk (idk if babys drink it?) or a homemade formula recipe (theres one in tightwad gazette, see below)

Recipe:
2- 12oz cans evap milk
32oz water
2tbsp Karo syrup
3ml Poly Vi Sol vitamins

Mix & serve

Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
autumn_fading
Blackbird Baby Designs
seller

If he's having that much trouble with formulas, there is absolutely NO way I would try regular milk with him. I'd get him into the Ped immediately, and demand tests to find out exactly what is wrong, because that is NOT normal at all. If your ped won't help, find a new one, or go to the ER and don't leave until you get some answers. I'm so sorry, that sounds really terrible. Hope you get a solution soon!

Blackbird Baby Designs: Handdyed yarns now stocked!

autumn_fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, don't start milk. He may end up on formula well past a year if he's having these problems now. He needs a referral to a gastro, there's something not right (as you know) and he needs to be taken care of properly. You may need to become 'that mom'. The one who calls the docs office everyday, the one who repeatedly asks for a second opinion or referral, the one who is relentless. They need to take care of him and get him figured out. My cousins baby was on formula ($56 a can back in '03) and was on it for well past his first birthday. He still has some issues now. It's some sort of metabolic thing (I only see her once a year at the family reunion). It took her being a flaming bwitch for the docs to finally get her into a gastro and for the many many appointments to figure him out.
Start by calling the peds office now. Try and get him in there, make an appointment for around when he gets the bottle, so they can see him when he has it and brings it all up.
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
kmjmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

there is no way he would be able to tolerate milk. The next step at getting toward milk from ellecare is a nutramigen or allamentum....then a milk based formula. #3 was on Elecare for a few months (then Allamentum) and a little past a year went on Peptamen 1.5
I was *that* mom and demanded everything but it wasn't until he was admitted to the hospital that we finally got all the tests run so we could see what was going on in his little body.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

we have tried nutramigen ... ok we had appt at 12:15 finally got saw 4 hours later .. after a bottle and vomit and seizures along with violent shaking for 1 hour .. .ok so dr. told me that JohnPaul has blood in his stool , a nervous system issue , oh yea and his soft spot is closed now at 9 1/2 months when it shouldn't close til 18month so that could signal a problem with his hydrocephalus (oh a sign of that is projectile vomiting ) ... now i am waiting on the neurologist

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote