Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #81
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: do NOT touch my kids!!!

Where I live there is a big mexican population. I was told that its very common for spanish people to touch ababy's face or feet - they call it "oro" something or other - "gold". They think a baby has something special about them so if they touch the face or feet a littl eof that "gold' will pass to them too. Once I was told that, it didn't bother me as much, b/c I knew th emeaning behind it was very benign.

Kelly, coffee addicted internet junkie married to my navy man Scott, and mama to Ethan 12.25.05 and Lucas 6.10.08
Adorn- nursing/babywearing necklaces, jewelry, beaded watches, and wine charms. Click me!
Kelolsen-and-Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #82
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: do NOT touch my kids!!!

I never had a problem with people touching my son when he was baby -- I actually wanted more people to pick him up than did! From our experience in a playgroup, the kids who got sick more were the ones with parents who went overboard on being anti-germ (handwipes, cleaner, no touching, washing every 15 seconds, etc). If he never gets exposed to stuff, he will be getting sick all his life from stupid little things that he should have gotten when he was young. I will say this with a Thank God, but the last time my son got sick with anything was almost two years ago and there isn't one anti-bacterial product in my home. Just a bit of common sense and mellow attitude.

I suppose its a good thing I have this mentality because all my in-laws are from the motherland overseas and babies are just loved to pieces and everyone wants to help you and wouldn't understand how neurotic we can be (americans) about germs... all my nieces and nephews are healthy as can be too!
aoifeaisling is offline   Reply With Quote