Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Playgroup Actiivy helps? Ideas?

Okay... so we have a playgroup of mom's from my church. I'm the rep from this side of town, and there's another VERY gung-ho mom from the other side of town (although I'm the ONLY mom from my side of town... so I represent...me). At any rate.. she's been out of town for a while and I've been sick as a dog with being early pregnant and all.. so the playgroup has just kind of been meeting at the local playground (on the other side of town) every Friday. So, now the other momma and I are going to get together to try to plan some funner activities other than just letting the kids play at the park. Most of the kids are toddlers (around 2 years old)--but we have a few 3-4 year olds as well. We have access to the church's rec area at all times--and actually if we met there it would increase attendence because there's a family with 4 homeschooled children (ranging from 15 months to 7 years old) that live right behind the church and would love to come to playgroup- but they have no transportation during the day.. so they can't come to the playground (they can walk to the church though).

So, as a rep for the moms' in my area (the homeschoolin' momma)--I'm going to try to come up with ideas that we can do in the church's rec room. It's a LARGE room, fully carpeted and with great AC... but precious little anything else in it. We use it as a classroom during Sunday services.

We're kind of in the boondocks as far as museum or zoo trips are concerned.. so we kind of have to make our own fun rather than field trips (and as a general rule we like to keep things free so everyone can participate).

So... if you have any super fun ideas.. I'd LOVE to hear them. Here are a few things we've done in the past:
- Had to local pet shop come and bring pets for the kids to see and learn about
- Had a "bike ralley" (we made a track with tape on teh floor for them) and everyone brought their ride on toys.
- We did a mini-olympics outdoors (bowling, "fishing")
- We have "chillin' Tuesdays" every Tuesday--a water party at someone's house.

Future ideas:
- Dress up day (everyone brings their dress up clothes and we'll do photo sessions with our digital cameras)
- Maybe playdough making (there's a kitchen right off of the rec room).
- I'd love to organize a music and movement day--but my preggo self would not be able to do it myself...there are a few college-aged dancers in our church I might could talk into coming in for one day (1 hour).

Any other ideas for fun, indoor activities that wouldn't cost much?

Advertisement

Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
seahawk
Registered Users

Re: Playgroup Actiivy helps? Ideas?

Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

one of the best loved playgroup events in my playgroup is the annual "End of Summer Messy Party". This has to be done outside for sure and all the kids must wear clothing that can be destroyed. We have kiddy pools set up full of messy stuff that kids would normally never get to have fun with. Cooked spaghetti noodles dyed lots of pretty colors, Jello, and Flour each in there own kiddy pool give the kids lots of textures to explore. Edible figure paints made from vanilla pudding dyed with food coloring and home made playdough add more fun. We usually do a messy potluck too and you cant forget the famous dirtcake for dessert. We hose the kids off at the end and use the foam soaps for some clean messy fun.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I just went to a conference at Baylor for all kinds of ideas to do with my preschool class. Pm me your direct Email and i will send you pics I took of all the ideas they gave us!
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Anyone else?
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote