Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When do u take a lovey toy away??

DS has these large white blisters on the inside of his lip. He had one on one side, looks like it popped, now there is another to match on the other side of his bottom lip.

This is because he has a "lovey" which he rubs the tail of the animal and then sucks on his lips. I can't imagine that this doesn't hurt. It seems to affect his drinking a little - not much.

Any ideas? When do u take a lovey toy away? He had "lost" it on his own for a while, so we didnt tell him where it was - for about 2-3 months & he was fine. Since then he has found a new one... He's only 4.
Might be time soon? He just wants to lay around in the morning, begging to watch TV - holding this cat. Not wanting to do anything like playing and seems to be in a bad mood bc of this... strange...

Advertisement

Last edited by vintagegyrl; 07-21-2008 at 06:23 AM.
vintagegyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When do u take a lovey toy away??

I think if it's causing blisters it's time to take it away. With my 2nd son I had to take away a fuzzy blanket my friend knitted for him after I discovered part of it coming out his rear! He was eating it. I replaced with a different blanket and eventually had to take it away too, he chewed off all the corners.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
DrLynne
Registered Users
seller

I would say never. My daughter still has a piece of her blanket she carries around and she is 21, married and has a baby of her own. I think it helps comfort them and it should not be taken away because they WILL find something else. My daughter never smoked, drank or did drugs, no depression or problems in school etc. I don't know if the blankie helped but it sure didn't hurt anything.
I would say that you definitely should pull him away from the TV and get him playing more, he'll eventually just use the lovey for naps and bedtime and may give it up on his own.
Lynne
DrLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLynne View Post
I would say never. My daughter still has a piece of her blanket she carries around and she is 21, married and has a baby of her own. I think it helps comfort them and it should not be taken away because they WILL find something else. My daughter never smoked, drank or did drugs, no depression or problems in school etc. I don't know if the blankie helped but it sure didn't hurt anything.
I would say that you definitely should pull him away from the TV and get him playing more, he'll eventually just use the lovey for naps and bedtime and may give it up on his own.
Lynne
ITA!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Can you get him to stop sucking the lips? I don't ever plan on taking away my kids lovies until they're ready, but they don't suck on them either, so I guess I have not ran into problems with them.

My mom took mine away whenever I guess she felt I was too old I was about 4, and I was devastated and she replaced it with something else (I guess it was more age appropriate) and told me it was another "night night" and I eventually took to it...I am not sure if I agree with this or not, but it did work.
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just want to clarify i'm not an advocate for taking away loveys but in a situation where harm could occur, like my child ingesting his blankets...i had to do it. my older son still has his lovey "baby rabbit" , though he doesn't need it.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
bugaboo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just cant imagine doing this. DD2 get blisters on her thumbs sometimes because she sucks it so much...but I could never expect her to stop. It comforts her. I guess my thought is...if it hurts she will stop doing it until it feels better. I check it everyday and make sure it is ok. I would say dont take it way but then that is just me.
"Freedom is not Free"
bugaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd (3) still gets a sucking blister on the edges of her lips, she sucks her thumb in her sleep, it pops and drys and doesn't bother her at all, just like when she was a little baby from sucking the bottle. My boys had them from nursing.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaboo View Post
I just cant imagine doing this. DD2 get blisters on her thumbs sometimes because she sucks it so much...but I could never expect her to stop. It comforts her. I guess my thought is...if it hurts she will stop doing it until it feels better. I check it everyday and make sure it is ok. I would say dont take it way but then that is just me.
Both my kids do this too, my kids have permanent callouses because of this. I just told DH I was going to take a picture of it and put it in their baby books
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
BGsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe instead of taking it away or "losing" it, you could just limit it. The lovey has to stay on his bed and if he wants the lovey, then he would have to stay in/on his bed too.
All 3 of my kids have loveys, the oldest 2 have blankets that they sleep with and occasionally drag around with them and the baby has one of those bear blanket loveys that he carries around with him.