Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #61
KV Boo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: baptized?

Me nor my husband are religous people.None of my girls are baptised when they get older if they want to do it as adults they can.

Advertisement

Mommy to Tatiana 12 years old
Stacy 10 years old and Gabriella born August 3, 2006 My little baby girl!!
KV Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:46 AM   #62
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would love to have my children baptized but we don't have a church we attend regularly.. Isn't it sad that none of my kids are baptized?
Old 11-28-2006, 06:57 AM   #63
clothluvinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we dedicated our children, we believe that as a child they are innocent. In our faith baptism is only a symbol of being saved from our sins and that's not what "saves" us. We believe in faith in Jesus not works. So baptism for us is a replication of our old life passing away and our new life beginning. Kinda like when Christ died and rose again. But thats just our belief...
Old 11-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #64
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife View Post
I apologize to all if I seem argumentative. I'm trying my best to form sentances that don't come across as argumentative, as I really do want to understand the differences each person holds as to their view on baptism and I've learned ALOT reading through this thread. Very obviously, I'm a devout Catholic and I've only seen two other Baptisms outside the Catholic Church. So I can't even pretend to know what it's like. So thank you to all of you for bearing with me and not sniping me if I've said something you don't agree to.
You're not being argumentative at all! You always have an informed, well-worded response for questions of faith and I respect that!
Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:03 AM   #65
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2bemommy View Post
I would love to have my children baptized but we don't have a church we attend regularly.. Isn't it sad that none of my kids are baptized?
Well, its sad if you feel it is. (I’m really not one to judge other people’s religious choices) I baptized my dd young, but I also believe we can get caught up in ‘organized’ religion. That its how we lead out lives that counts more than attending a specific service. Kwim??

If you want to have your kids baptized, I’d think that most churches would be happy to do so. And it seemed like when I visited NC last summer, that there was a Church on every street corner (just about) so pick one that you’ve been to and ask the minister. If they say ‘no,’ pick the next one.

doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:56 AM   #66
Tasha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelstaten View Post
I think what she meant was that they were paid specifically for a baptismal ceremony. (Not just paid to work for the church) Being paid for being a pastor is Biblical (as all the tithe went to the priesthood), but I think the question was because someone said they had to pay the minister to preform the baptism. (That's what I got out of it anyway )
That was me! I was just suprised if she had to pay separately for the baptism, as the priest is already being "paid" for his job. Sorry if that didn't come out clearly.
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:04 AM   #67
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
The idea that the Catholic Church used to believe (or some of her members believe/ believed) that unbaptised children will go to hell is false. It was never a doctrine or teaching of the Church. In the 60's a Bishop came out with his opinion of what may happen, but the idea that unbaptised children go to hell or to limbo has NEVER been taught by the Church. ETA: The Church commends the soul of an unbaptised child to God and we believe in and embrace God's mercy. I know many Catholic parents that have lost a child and I can assure you none of them think their child is in hell.
I was taught in my 13 years of Catholic school that if a baby is not baptised they will indeed go to hell to pay for original sin. When Sierra died at 3 dyas old unexpectedly, my grandmother, a devoute Roman Catholic, called to express her regret that she would never get to meet Sierra in heaven since her soul had been sent to hell. I also received a "sympathy" card from one of the nuns from my highschool. In it she said that she hoped I had had Sierra baptised before she died so that her soul could be saved.

In my opinion, the two of them can go to hell for making those statements. I can't think of much more that would be as unChristian as that.

DH and I are not religious I think I lean wiccan/pagan if I really look at the beliefs. Dh just wants ot be nothing. We have a nice UU church with a sunday preschool program that allows the kids to explore many different religions. I have been thinking of attending to begin exposing the girls to different beliefs. Needless to say they are not baptised, and neither was Sierra. Sierra was blessed by a nurse after she died, but we would not allow the chaplin in.

Last edited by mommyto3girls; 11-28-2006 at 10:05 AM.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:27 AM   #68
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3girls View Post
I was taught in my 13 years of Catholic school that if a baby is not baptised they will indeed go to hell to pay for original sin. When Sierra died at 3 dyas old unexpectedly, my grandmother, a devoute Roman Catholic, called to express her regret that she would never get to meet Sierra in heaven since her soul had been sent to hell. I also received a "sympathy" card from one of the nuns from my highschool. In it she said that she hoped I had had Sierra baptised before she died so that her soul could be saved.

In my opinion, the two of them can go to hell for making those statements. I can't think of much more that would be as unChristian as that.

DH and I are not religious I think I lean wiccan/pagan if I really look at the beliefs. Dh just wants ot be nothing. We have a nice UU church with a sunday preschool program that allows the kids to explore many different religions. I have been thinking of attending to begin exposing the girls to different beliefs. Needless to say they are not baptised, and neither was Sierra. Sierra was blessed by a nurse after she died, but we would not allow the chaplin in.
That's sad that your family would say such things. Unfortunately people our grand parents age grew up with the misconception that "the child would gop to hell" so I guess it has been ingrained and they just can't get past it.

Unfortunately I think a lot of the misconceptions out there about what the Church believes comes from years of mis information or pre vatican 2 beliefs/teachings that older people grew up with.

Wikipedia actually has a great article on Baptisim with information about a lot of different faiths and what they believe and practice if anyone wants to read about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_baptism

Oh ya I just have to add whenever I hear someone say the comment about unbaptised infants going to hell my response is "and you have first hand experience with who goes to hell and what heaven & hell are like?" It shuts them up.

I mean come on it's not like anyone knows anything about it.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:30 PM   #69
momtothreeboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, all three. My husband and I are roman catholics. My oldest and youngest were baptised at 6 weeks and my second was in the hospital becaue he was in nicu so we called the priest to come to the hospital to do it. He was done at 2 days old. I believe in baptism and the catholic religion so it was not a decision of sorts. As far as the paying thing we were never charged for a baptism. We made donations for every one to the church but you don't have too. My oldest son goes to ccd classes every week and had had his first communion last year. But it is a parental decision nad no one elses.
momtothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:43 PM   #70
libranbutterfly
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Absolutely not. I have no way of knowing what religion my son is going to be when he grows up. While I would love for him to be pagan, he might not be. So I have no right (IMO) to "induct" him into any religion. We will, however, have a Wiccaning, which is more to ask the Lady to watch over him and to help US to raise him in love. It in no way endoctrinates him into Wicca.
This would be us....If we could get into it ourselves. DH and I agree that wicca is our chosen path after being forced into other religions as children, but we are not forcing any religion on our children. They can decide to follow any religion and I will support them, unlike my parents lleyes: JMO
libranbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote