Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cool Post Holiday Cooking

Okay so I am sure most of us indulged these past two months... so let's share some healthy recipes & meal ideas!

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
beanmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Post Holiday Cooking

Great idea, I'll have to pull a few out and post...until then I'll be watching! I think we have a few more days of junk food around here and then we'll be back to more healthy. I just love my crockpot...I actually got a second one for Christmas so I could do 2 dishes at the same time or cook a smaller batch of something
beanmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah we still have more holiday eating to do but I sooo wanna finally start losing this baby weight lol I am of course going to start exercising finally and once I stop nursing it's back on the beach (diet) lol
Old 12-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
maciascl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have real recipes for these, but my 2 fav healthy & inexpensive meals are lentils & rice and black bean taco rice. We are (mostly) vegetarian but you could add meat to these if you wanted. Plus they are really flexable & you can customize them to your families tastes by using diffrent veggies or seasonings.

Lentils & rice
Satuee some diced onion, diced carrots & crushed garlic in olive oil. Add brown rice, lentils, water/broth/stock & seasoning (my favs are curry & cumin or Italian blends) Cover & simmer for about 1 hour. You can also add wahtever other veggies you want with the lentils. I usually add some drained frozen spinich or frozen peas in the last 15 min of cooking.

Black bean taco rice
Brown some diced onion, chopped zuchinni, chopped red/yellow bell peppers in olive oil. Add (cooked) black beans, brown rice (uncooked), a can of tomatoes or about a cup of mild salsa, taco or chili seasoning (I use extra cumin too just because I like it) water/broth/stock & frozen corn. Cover & simmer about 1 hour.

Sorry I don't have measurements for these. I just kinda throw them together. black bean taco rice is also really good with quinoa instead of rice, plus then it has more protien & cookes in about 30 instead of 60

Last edited by maciascl; 12-27-2006 at 01:48 PM.
maciascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

mmm those sound good! wish hubby weren't so picky lol
Old 01-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

I am the queen of adding extra "stuff" to my recipes. When I make homeade mac and cheese, I add tuna and spinach; I add applesauce, oatmeal, wheat germ, and berries to my whole wheat pancake mix; I put wheat germ in oatmeal, etc. Basically, I try to throw in addtl healthy ingredients to give us a nutritional boost whenever I can and my kids are so used to it they don't even know the difference. We call it "kitchen sink" (as in everything but...) cooking.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

I'm pretty boring, I don't really have any recipes (well, I do, but they're mainly just collected in my folders w.o ever having been tested ).
I mainly go the strict route of low fat, lots of raw or steamed veggies, low on carbs (especially at night when the metabolism slows down and stores carbs easier into fat!) high on protein (chicken breasts, ground turkey, lean steak, cottage cheese, egg whites)

Basically Chicken breasts (no butter and such lol) and broccoli are a typical meal, egg white omelette w/1 egg yolk mixed in, salsa, green veggies on the side.
Things like that. I'm no help, huh?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
Steffie
Registered Users
seller

Cheryl, I just tried your recipe for the lentils and rice. I used vegetable stock and cumin, and added peas at the end. It is delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Cattail Fluff HC store
Steffie is offline   Reply With Quote