Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2006, 06:39 AM   #11
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need advice on shower?

TO your question, I wouldn't worry about the hostess gift, maybe just a small plant or a $5 GC to starbucks or something...sorry about the turnout - we don't have real showers around here for second + babies, but my friends do stock the nursery parties, which is fun!

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I canceled the shower. Because she only gave people 1.5 wks notice no one rsvp'd but my grandma. So I just canceled it. I felt so dejected last nite and cried most of the nite. Im over it today. My grandma called and said she had several gifts that my family dropped off for her to bring. Im not upset at my family just upset that a 'friend' waited too long to send out the invites. Very disapointed. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #13
Sunny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe they could do a after baby shower??? I am doing one for my cousin next month. She lives in another state and all her family lives here so I am giving her one when she visits.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #14
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, my dh felt bad that I felt bad so he said we would have a "meet the new harris baby" bbq after things settle down after his delivery.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
Sunny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is such a great idea! That gave me a new idea for my cousins shower as well! I hope that is all owrks out great for you. I had a boy when I was supposed to have a girl and had a girl shower and all. I didn't have another shower but people gave me tons of stuff I think more than normal cause it was such a shock to plan for a girl and then have a boy so that helped a ton!
Old 06-07-2006, 03:56 AM   #16
Blessedmommieof3
Registered Users
seller

I'm so sorry your shower isn't happening as it should. I think the meet the baby BBQ afterwards will be great.

I've never had real good luck with showers either. For my first baby I was in TX away from everyone!! (we are military and move - a LOT) My friend decided to throw me a shower - I had 3 co-workers show up, plus my friend/hostess and her mom, grandma & sister - whom I barely knew. They were SO sweet to come & brought me sweet gifts, but when it was all said and done I really didn't have much. KWIM? DH & I bought most everything on our own, new. We kept it all since we knew we wanted another. But after #2, we got rid of the baby stuff since we were "done" - I gave a pg friend most everything, sold some other stuff. Then I get pg again and had to start ALL over, buying everything - where is everyone passing on baby stuff when I need it?? LOL My friend Kristen threw me a "surprise" shower - she thinks it was a surprise anyway - she's not too sneaky LOL!! We had only been in Hawaii for 4 mo when I got pg with #3 and had nothing, of course. I had a pretty good turn out but, not to sound petty and ungrateful, but the gifts were not all that great. I got some nice clothes and a few toys, but the rest was a photo album which I'd never use (not the style I use) clothes in mis-matched sizes: top 3 mo, matching bottom in 12 mo, etc... So once again we bought it all.

Then my friend Kristen, who threw shower #2, went through IVF to conceive her 2nd baby (oldest was 13) and at her shower she got TONS of stuff. So many clothes that her baby never got to use them all, bath stuff to last 2 years, furniture, etc... Not to mention that as my baby boy has gorwn I've passed on TONS of toys, including a travel swing, exersaucer... She literally has 2 stationary play centers, 2 swings, 3 strollers... So now, baby #2 is almost a year and she's 4.5 mo pg with #3 (IVF again) and she expects another shower. She expects me to throw it too; which I don't mind, (love her to death) but... it's just too much IMO - I can see another shower maybe if it's a boy since we could stock her up on clothes, but if it's a girl she's still got new clothes from the 1st shower!! Maybe a diaper shower?? She uses sposies though. When I talked about this with her, she said well... I need another crib & dresser and crib set either way. Do people really expect others to supply thier baby with EVERYTHING??? Just sounds a bit greedy to me... DH & I bought 99% of everything for all 3 of our children.

OK - that got off into a wee bit of a rant, didn't it?? I feel ya about the sucky shower situation though...well I can't really say sucky. I was blessed to have one at all, and was thankful for every little thing - I just seem to always be on the wrong end when it comes to baby stuff - the GIVER!!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #17
woolfulcomforts
Registered Users

My Mood:

i have 3 kids. and have never had one shower
we had to buy everything ourselves, i think we may have got some flowers when the boys where born but that is it
woolfulcomforts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #18
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Irene, I've never had a shower either... and we only got like 3 cards in the mail after #2 was born.. and I had sent out like 30 announcements (and I'm NOT whining about not getting 'presents' or whatever - all I wanted was cards for her scrapbook!)
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote