Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2006, 06:18 AM   #1
Priscella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Leaking problems

I am pretty new to CD. I have bought some new dips, but mostly used ones. I really really want this to work out for us, but they keep leaking, or wicking. I use extra doublers and everything. But sometimes, I have him so doubled up that I can't get his little, well big at the time butt into his pants. But am I doing somethign wrong, or did the dips I buy, just end up being no good. They all look in pretty decent shape, though, so what is going on????? I don't want to give up on this.

Advertisement

Doula and CBE In Training (CBI)
Priscella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
ModernMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Leaking problems

What are you currently using? You may have to play around with different diapers until you find one that fits right. If using fitteds, the cover can make a world of difference. We use little beetle hemp fitteds which are insanely absorbent!
ModernMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your son looks about the same age as mine. I ran into leaking issues around 12 months, because he would pee so fast the diaper wouldn't have a chance to absorb quick enough to take it all in. I use pockets, what do you use? I'd be happy to help with insert ideas just pm me if you're a pocket user. I've also found that I like different styles for different reasons. I think once they get moble and have bigger bladders fit is the key thing. He doesn't have a big butt anymore either with the combos I came up with....

HTH
Old 06-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #4
EmmalinesMom
Registered Users
seller

Also, you might want to try stripping the diapers, especially if they are used, to get rid of any detergent buildup that might cause the pee to repel rather than soak in quickly.

Just wash them alone in super hot water (no detergent) and check for bubbles during the cycle. If you see suds, there is detergent buildup, and you just need to repeat the hot washes/rinses (again, no detergent) until you don't see the suds.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
Priscella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the responses. My son is almost 20 months.

I only have one pocket diaper that is a VB, most are AI2s. I have some TXBB, Pattynaps w/ snap in, some WAHMs, etc. I have some hemp doublers and some microfiber ones, I bought from walmart.

Say for the VB, I wrap a microfiber insert around the hemp doubler. It seems right as soon as he pees, I need to take it off quick, or else.

We wake up at 7:00 in the morning and by 10 we already have changed 3 diapers!!! Does this seem right??? I know you are suppose to change more w/ CD, but this much????

I will try the stripping thing.

One other question, I just bought a new diaper, from chunky butt, it is velor topped w/ a hemp snap in doubler. Do I need to wash this before us, to get it to absorb more, and how many times do I have to wash it before I can use it?

Thank you so much ladies.
Doula and CBE In Training (CBI)
Priscella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
jodi5
Registered Users

Oh no, this is not normal. I know I have a heavy wetter, but I can go a few hours without changing if need be. I found my son to be a fast wetter so hemp works best as a lower layer for us. Microfibre can be the top layer since it absorbs quickly but I find it is just not enough by itself. If I am going to use it, I need to put hemp underneath it. For me, wraping microfibre around hemp didn't work nearly as well. I found prefolds really have worked the best for us. They absorb quickly and seem to hold on very well. I just trifold in covers without a problem.

At night time with a good cover, I can fold a 2 layer hemp insert in thirds and then a 3 layer doubler folded in half at the front so I have 15 layers at the front and 9 layers the rest of the way back. It works fine. Also, I can use a hemp fitted diaper with a prefold or microfibre as a doubler.

Hope you can figure out what works for you!