Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
RAISING AWARENESS - pregnancy complications

I hope this is okay to post this....

Hi ladies. I thought I would start a thread about pregnancy complications and worries. This thread is not to freak anyone out or cause worries in those currently pregnant but for people to ask questions about concerns that they might have, to share their stories of their own complications and experience and to hopefully raise awareness so that if anyone is currently pregnant and might be experiencing something or be really scared about something that they can come here as a reference.

Personally I'd like to share that I developed severe preeclampsia and peripartum cardiomyopathy (PPCM). These two were separate "diseases" but were both severe and could have taken both my life and the baby's.

When I went into the hospital my BP was 193/130 and I was severely swollen and my labs showed that I was severely preeclamptic. A few days after giving birth, my body went into congestive heart failure due to the complications I had had and the extra work that had been put on my heart.

I hope that if anyone has any questions about either one of these that I can be of support and hopefully offer some help or at least a shoulder to cry on. I've been there and hope that you will find something that someone says here helpful or at least be able to find someone that has walked through the same things you are walking through, have walked through or are worried about walking through.

If you have something to share, please list it here. Hopefully we can all be of some help to other mamas.

~ Emily ~ loving my fireman, mama to a big bub, a sissy, and a little bub
imommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: RAISING AWARENESS - pregnancy complications

Glad your still with us mama!

Awareness,,,YES!! Mama's need to know what to look for, especially when they'r doing the unassisted home thing!! Things we heard mama's complain the most about who were preeclamptic;

Swelling and/or pitting edema; pitting edema is seen in the legs,,,,if you apply pressure to the front of your calf and leave a indentation, thats pitting edema. Sometimes it's barely noticable, sometimes you can leave a crater! You can have it without being preeclamptic though! (I can currently gross my daughter out by making a "smiley face" and I'm NOT preeclamptic)

Protein present in urine,,,If your going unassisted, you can buy urine stips that test for protein at most pharmacies. (Get one that also tests for glucose also!!!! (whole nother topic there lol))

Headach and blurred vision.

A good site for preeclampsia symptoms is

Don't freak if you have some of these symptoms!! But it's a good idea to get checked out!! If you really think its nothing and dont want to run to the doc right away, at least go to Walgreens and use the Blood pressure machine!!
contemplation31 is offline   Reply With Quote