Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2006, 01:50 AM   #1
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Ruebella shot & TTC

So when I had my son my doc told me I was Equivical (sp?) and that I needed to get a ruebella shot however I had one back in 1980 along with measles and mumps. What is the deal with me NEEDING to get it before I have another baby? What is the purpose behind it? Will something happen to me or a baby? I am confused even as to why I would need another one. The reason I did not get it when I left the hospital is because I wanted to know why and just forgot until hubby and I called Doc to get more progesterone incase we became pregnant. Anyone have this before?
LMK TIA

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 01:58 AM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: Ruebella shot & TTC

I haven't been through this, but I looked it up for ya on this website:
http://virology-online.com/viruses/Rubella.htm
Point of interest perhaps:
"- Natural infection is followed by a high level of protection from reinfection. However reinfection can occur which is generally asymptomatic. Reinfection in pregnancy is thought to pose minimal risk to the fetus. Reports of fetal infection are exceedingly rare. In reinfection, the IgG is highly elevated whilst IgM may be demonstrable, giving equivocal results. It may now be possible to distinguish reinfection from primary infection by examining the avidity of specific IgG (IgG from patients with reinfection have a higher avidity) "

Remember that it's your body and you have to make the choice of whether or not you want to get this vax done. If you are against it, don't let the drs pressure you to do it.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:04 AM   #3
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

thanks alot I was also told that if I did get the shot I would need to wait 3 months to concieve So I think I am going to pass on the shot I was forced to get a tetnus in december (military) but I got one of these ruebellas when I was 20 months old. I do believe in selective vaxs but I had no problems with Noah and I think Doc just wants to make sure he made me aware. KWIM? Thanks for checking for me.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

..and for what it's worth, I have no immunity (despite remembering receiving my last MMR shot! Actually it was only 7/8 years after that shot that I had my DS, and I had no immunity then) and due to drug allergies I can't be vax'd now - I don't worry about it

There's some risk of birth defects if you contract rubella while pregnant. However, you have to consider that your risk of contracting the disease is very small. It really has to do with your comfort level.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote