Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #61
ladybugmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Birth Control

we NFP here also- here is a good link with info about how the pill has 3 levels of Many of the birth control pills that are hormonal, in addition to preventing ovulation, also prevent the fertilized egg from implanting should ovulation occur, thus terminating a pregnany.
Here is a helpful website but please be warned it has info about how the pill can terminate a pregnancy as it is a pro-life website called pharmacists for life. http://www.pfli.org/faq_oc.html
From their website,www.pfli.org/faq

Quote:
How does the pill really work? A. There are four ways the pill acts to stop sperm reaching an egg (ovum). First, the hormones in the pill try to stop an ovum being released from your ovary each month. This is known as the suppression of ovulation. Research has shown that neither the progesterone-only pill nor the combined progesterone-oestrogen formulations always stop ovulation.
Second, all formulations of the pill cause changes to the cervical mucus that your body produces. The cervical mucus may become thicker and more difficult for sperm to fertilize an ovum.
Third, all formulations of the pill cause changes to the lining of the womb (properly known as the endometrium). Under the influence of the chemicals in the pill, the lining of the womb doesn’t grow to the proper thickness. You will notice that your periods are lighter when you are on the pill. This is because the lining of the womb has not developed properly. But this change also means that the womb is not in the right stage of development to allow a fertilized egg to attach properly (this attachment process is known as implantation). This action of the pill will be discussed again in this booklet.
Fourth, the pill causes changes to the movement of the Fallopian tubes. This effect may reduce the possibility of the ovum being fertilised.

Advertisement

ladybugmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:11 AM   #62
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKylie
I've used BCP's, condoms and the Mirena IUD. I hated them all Really I have no idea what I am going to use whenthe times comes around next.
NFP is intersting, I seriously doubt my ability to use it correctly!

Ladycomp! its great nfp easy, realible... but expensive upfront unlike other npf... but my husband said, a lot less than being pregnant LOL

when I searched npf I found out about it because pills make me sick, condoms itch (tmi right?) and trusting God's timing has the potential to make a lot of babies really quick (40 weeks after the honeymoon LOL)

but now that we have one....
Old 06-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #63
newuanda
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleways
We use Natural Family Planning: the Creighton Model System which has a method effectiveness of 99.5%. I love it because it teaches you so much about your body. Here's info about it if your interested: http://www.fertilitycare.ca/index.php
I am so interested in this. I hate using condoms and would like to stay off the pill. I did like being on it, but I just don't think it's all that safe b/c there is history of cancer in my family. Anyway, we've been looking for something natural and effective. I'm off to do some reading now.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #64
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

My DH had a vascectomy when DS was about 4 months old, he had the VasClip procedure done, which has a higher reversal success rate should something happen to me and he wanted to have more children...together though, we are done...I can't do hormonal bc since I had DD b/c I get horrible migraines. I also am a TERRIBLE pill taker, so it was riskier for me to be on the pill than off.

I just realized the other day that I probably had a miscarriage when I was in college and never knew it - I had all the syptoms of pregnancy but was in denial and not where I could take a test, so when I finally started my period (about 3 weeks late), I just chalked it up to stress, travel, etc...this was while I was on the pill, but I was ALWAYS a terrible pill taker.

The V works for us and has greatly improved the spontenaity of our sex life (we used condoms before)...we are happy with our decision!
Old 06-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #65
tng_mama
Registered Users

My dh had the big V after Gracie was born. We have three children, and agreed that's enough for us. I do get sad some days that I will never be pregnant again, or hold my baby for the first time again...especially as Gracie gets bigger by the day, and I'm sure that when she's done nursing, I will feel it even more. BUt, I don't think we could do another one.

"The V works for us and has greatly improved the spontenaity of our sex life (we used condoms before)...we are happy with our decision!"

Last edited by tng_mama; 06-10-2006 at 07:03 PM.
tng_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #66
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gosh, I'm the only Diaphram user, eh?? We have used it & spermicide...

I also like the idea of NFP & knowing your body... I'm familiar with my fertility cycles, but not charting...
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:21 PM   #67
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowynne
Usually pill babies come when you dont use them right, my sister is one
DS is a pill baby. Pill babies also happen when you have weird side effects from the pills (aka heavy mid-cycle bleeding, then fairly scant AF!) and your healthcare provider (planned parenthood) tells you it's "normal" and then the OB/Gyn you see later for your pregnancy laughs and says HE is surprised you didn't get pg sooner because the pills wouldn't have been effective with the symptoms I had (and I didn't even get pg mid-cycle, I got preggo around when AF was due, it never arrived.. I was a few days late and a pg test then was neg, I didn't worry too much and tested again two weeks later.. pg!)

Every pill baby I've ever heard of was conceived on Ortho Tri-cyclen. I'm convinced that there are some serious issues with that particular pill.. either that or too many healthcare providers prescribing it and not really doing a good job of trying alternatives or following up with patients who do have problems with it. I went to PP regarding my "problems" with it THREE TIMES and I even requested to try something else and they wouldn't let me change because I'd already bought a year's worth of pills and they couldn't be exchanged

DD is an IUD "failure" of sorts - I had expelled my IUD and not noticed (I got out of the habit of checking for it) and then one month I was MUCH later than normal

I'm not comfortable doing hormonal BC again, and I refuse to do anything permanent to my body, so after DD, DH and I used condoms pretty regularly for about 5-6 months. Since then... I don't know if DH just doesn't care, or what, because we haven't really been using anything I think I O'd a couple of days ago too.. so we'll see what happens

I have only ever wanted three... so if/when another comes around, then I will pressure DH to get a V

Last edited by EasterBun; 06-10-2006 at 11:23 PM.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #68
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I have an IUD, but since I'm single it doesn't really matter! I got pregnant on the pill though so when the day comes I will probably use condoms too, just too be careful. I don't want any more babies for awhile.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:27 AM   #69
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

FWIW, I'd consider getting an IUD again... I would just make a point of checking for it EVERY month Once every 6 months or so just doesn't quite cut it!
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote