Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
2nd + baby; no shower but a celebration ?

I don't plan on having a baby shower but I do want to have a celebration. I was thinking a henna party. I wanted to have a henna 'tattoo' on my belly last time but we didn't do it.

What if anything are you going to do?

Advertisement

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2nd + baby; no shower but a celebration ?

Baby #3 here. Don't expect any showers or celebrations... there weren't any for baby #2 (DS). The only thing I can think of is that maybe the new church we're attending might do something... simply because we didn't go when we had #1 and #2? I'll be completely surprised if they do though.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We did a blessingway or mother's blessing with DD2. It was really lovely and everyone had a great time. I waited until the due date was really close. We did the yarn tradition: everyone wraps yarn around their wrist/ankle/neck once for every mother back they can name -mother, grandmother, etc- and then you say a blessing and cut the yarn. Everyone ties it off and then wears it until the baby is born. This is to drawn on the strength and wisdom of the mothers who've gone before us. We also asked everyone to bring a bead for me to string together to wear while I was in labor. This is to draw from the strength of the important women in your life when you need it most, that way they are all with you during labor (without actually having a room full of people, lol). It's all about women coming together to support each other in something only other women can understand. It's a really awesome way to celebrate.

I also did a henna party just me and DD1 We both did henna tattoos and then I put her hand prints on my stomach with henna. All the nurses and midwives loved it, they even brought a couple people in to see it during early labor, lol.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkcb13 View Post
We did a blessingway or mother's blessing with DD2. It was really lovely and everyone had a great time. I waited until the due date was really close. We did the yarn tradition: everyone wraps yarn around their wrist/ankle/neck once for every mother back they can name -mother, grandmother, etc- and then you say a blessing and cut the yarn. Everyone ties it off and then wears it until the baby is born. This is to drawn on the strength and wisdom of the mothers who've gone before us. We also asked everyone to bring a bead for me to string together to wear while I was in labor. This is to draw from the strength of the important women in your life when you need it most, that way they are all with you during labor (without actually having a room full of people, lol). It's all about women coming together to support each other in something only other women can understand. It's a really awesome way to celebrate.

I also did a henna party just me and DD1 We both did henna tattoos and then I put her hand prints on my stomach with henna. All the nurses and midwives loved it, they even brought a couple people in to see it during early labor, lol.
LOVE both those ideas!

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
carlycurry
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have no idea how to do a henna tattoo, but they look really neat... do they come off easily if I did one and hated it??

And... hmm.. not sure if we'll do a baby shower or not... just depends if someone wants to throw me one, I guess... this baby is 6 years apart from our first... so I guess there's a chance someone may throw us one!
Baby #3 coming July 2015
carlycurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

My friend didn't want a mother's blessing with her 4th but she had a "henna the bump" party! It was great. Everyone brought food, a friend did beautiful henna on 2 bellies and several hands/arms. It was fun.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
Kotzurk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're having a shower. I think every baby should have one, no matter what number child they are.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
Formerly: lovnbabygabi
seller

My Mood:

I had a blessingway too and it was amazing!! I was in a natural mamas group and they did it for me. We did the yarn, they made a book of beautiful sayings about new life. Before we started we "cleared the air" and released all the fears we had and wrote them on paper and put them into a fire in the center of us. They each made me gifts which were so nice and for me, not the baby. Like a lavender pillow to help with sleep, etc.

My cousin and I were due the same day but she was expecting her first. My family offered to do a joint shower but I declined since I really didn't need anything with number 2 and wanted her first shower to be special for her. They made me a basket though in secret and it was really sweet. I think I may have one with this one, just because I'm the only preggo in the fam right now and we love parties But I would not be sad if we didn't. Besides not knowing the gender we just don't need much in the way of baby stuff. I would love to just have a "meet the baby" type of party afterward.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
miraclebaby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcess721 View Post
Baby #3 here. Don't expect any showers or celebrations... there weren't any for baby #2 (DS).
Same, baby #4 gets a lovely home birth. I guess that's my doorprize LOl.

Join me swagging http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/stephlawler
miraclebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
mollypeters
Registered Users
seller
seller

where i live, most babies are showered. showers are looked at as a celebration of the baby (by most ppl), not so much a gift grab. most of the ones i've been to are really laid back, potluck style affairs that last most of the day.gifts really aren't expected, but are always fun to ooh and aah over. the only "rule" i was ever aware of is that u don't throw one for urself. i had no idea that they were only for the first baby, but after i did a little research, i understand more of the tradition of such events. i have to admit that i'm a little fascinated by all the different views surrounding showers. fun stuff!
mollypeters is offline   Reply With Quote