Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Crunchy Kaley
Registered Users

Last chance

I had always looked forward to breastfeeding my children and knew that it was something I wanted to do but it has been very challenging from the beginning. I feel like I am close to giving up nursing and for exclusive pumping. My DS has only received breastmilk and is now four months old.

At birth he was not interested in latching and after 12 hours with help from the lactation consultant we were finally successful. I experienced some pain but I didn't really know what to expect. By ten days old my nipples were cracked and bleeding and I visited the lactation consultant again. DS would alternate between nursing correctly and biting. At that time she recommended a nipple shield and things seemed to be going well. I attempted to wean from the nipple shield for the next few months but he wasn't interested and I didn't push him too hard. He did receive the occasional bottle (1-2 weekly) but usually just nursed.

When I returned to work I realized that my supply was very low. I don't think DS was nursing very well so my supply dropped. After the first day of daycare he was on a nursing strike and I couldn't get him to breastfeed. I spent the next week pumping and taking supplements and was able to get my supply back up. During that time I attempted to nurse at every feeding, while home, and fed DS with a syringe when he refused. After a few days he did begin nursing again but started ripping the nipple shield off. I was excited to be rid of that thing!

Now, he is at it again. At every nursing session he pulls away while sucking, which isn't very comfortable, and yells. He does this multiple times while nursing and will stop eating after a very short period of time. I have been pumping after most nursing sessions and usually get 1-3 ounces each time.

He had his four month appointment a few days ago and is now at the 3rd percentile for weight, at 2 months he was at the 50th percentile, so we started feeding him what I pumped with a syringe after he finished nursing. I feel like I have been through so much to give up now and pumping just doesn't work well with our lifestyle. We have already taken him on an overnight canoe trip and plan on backpacking over 4th of July, nursing makes those trips SO much easier.

Sorry for the novel but please give me any last advice. Is there anything else I can try??

Thanks!
Crunchy Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote