Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

How did you choose a pediatrician?

So...I don't really like our current pediatrician. To be fair, I have no problems with the doctor herself; it's the practice that irritates me. They are 1.5 mi away from home and right next door to the hospital where DS was delivered (and where #2 will be), so they come see the baby in the hospital and they're super convenient. The doctor we have always seen is nice and I really don't have any problems with her. They got me in today with no problem even when I called at ~9 this morning.

But. The office just irritates me. Once they scheduled DS' well child visit for 7:20am which I thought was fine - it would get us up and going for the day - but when we got there the door was locked and the sign showed the practice doesn't open until 7:30. So we had to wait outside until 7:30. Luckily we hadn't gotten around any too early like we usually try to do. Once we went in we still had to wait 15-20 min before being called back. They tried scheduling his next appt for the same time and I said no thank you.

They have an automated answering system and the volume on it is so low I had to lock myself in my closet today and call back 4 times and put it on speaker phone before I could finally hear the prompts to reach a nurse.

They have no bathroom available. This one I just can't believe. They have kids waiting to see a doctor and no bathroom that can be used. Once I begged and they finally let us use the Nurses Only one, but come on - DS can't be the only child potty training right now.

They have no website. This isn't a deal breaker, but I can never remember their hours and occasionally I forget our doctor's first name or something and I can't just look it up. I can call and follow the prompts to get to the hours but I can't hear them...

So anyway, I'm tempted to switch doctors, but I don't know how really. I feel like since I'm delivering at that hospital it's just a given that we should use them. Also, DS gets his 18 mo vx in like 3 weeks and then he doesn't really need much until kindergarten, so it almost seems silly to switch now. But there will be another baby, Lord willing... I don't want to hurt my dr's feelings - she's nice enough; her office is just dumb.

What do you look for in a pediatrician and how do you find one you like? And if I find one, how do I switch? Do I have to call and request all his records or will the new ped do that? Does it matter if the new ped doesn't go to our hospital after delivery? Or should I just deal with what annoys me because it isn't that big of a deal? Maybe all offices are like this?

Advertisement

Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How did you choose a pediatrician?

You have no obligation to spare your Drs feelings nor to use the practice associated with the delivering hospital, none whatsoever. However, if you like the doctor, I wouldn't be too picky about those little details; it will be hard to find a practice you like AND a doctor within that practice you like--not impossible of course, but those seem like very minor inconveniences. Except the bathroom, I don't understand that at all.

There was a post in another group for large families asking wait time at the pediatrician's office. There was ONE person who said 15-20 minutes, the rest were far longer than that. I was shocked, because I used to be annoyed to wait 15 minutes or less at our ped's old practice. Dr. moved to a different clinic within their system and we have zero wait time now, it is amazing. But from that post it sounds like we were lucky to have the 15 minutes at the old place too.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe you could talk to her about your issues with her office? Most of those are fixable (except the no bathroom thing, which I agree is ridiculous for a pediatrician), and if I were the pediatrician, I would want to know about them! Especially if I were potentially losing patients for totally fixable things.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeotwoski View Post
You have no obligation to spare your Drs feelings nor to use the practice associated with the delivering hospital, none whatsoever. However, if you like the doctor, I wouldn't be too picky about those little details; it will be hard to find a practice you like AND a doctor within that practice you like--not impossible of course, but those seem like very minor inconveniences. Except the bathroom, I don't understand that at all.

There was a post in another group for large families asking wait time at the pediatrician's office. There was ONE person who said 15-20 minutes, the rest were far longer than that. I was shocked, because I used to be annoyed to wait 15 minutes or less at our ped's old practice. Dr. moved to a different clinic within their system and we have zero wait time now, it is amazing. But from that post it sounds like we were lucky to have the 15 minutes at the old place too.
Yeah, I totally don't mind waiting 15-20 min, or even longer, esp if they squeezed me in like they did today. My problem with it was that they scheduled me for 10 min before they even open, so I was clearly the first appt of the day, and then I had to wait 15-20 min AFTER the time that they opened the doors. They should not schedule people that early if they clearly can't take patients that early.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #5
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
Maybe you could talk to her about your issues with her office? Most of those are fixable (except the no bathroom thing, which I agree is ridiculous for a pediatrician), and if I were the pediatrician, I would want to know about them! Especially if I were potentially losing patients for totally fixable things.
This is a good point. I should probably do this. Especially the volume on the answering system is probably an easy fix. I'm guessing they have some reason for their scheduling habits, though, and probably won't want to stop scheduling people before they're open. And the bathroom is a facility thing - that will probably be an expensive fix for them. But they should still put one in.

Their office is in the same building as my ob/gyn who I totally love and they have like 8 bathrooms. So...I bet the plumbing is available.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #6
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Location would be high on my priority list. My pediatrician is a one hour drive from me-one way. So, two hours of just driving. I know I live in a totally different place so that may not be relevant.

Tell them about the phone volume. They can fix that.

No bathroom for real? Like there is not a bathroom that the children can use at all? What about urine samples? What if someone has a stomach problem? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard and I would switch for that reason and that reason alone.

You didn't say you loved the doctor, you said you liked her. I would switch to somewhere with a bathroom. That is inexcusable.

As far as the hospital, most likely any new ped will come to the hospital to see the baby. In the city I deliver in, there are two major children's clinics and two major hospitals and they both go to both hospitals. Like no matter which hospital I choose, my ped would come to either one. When you find a ped you like, the new office will request DS' records. You will sign a release permitting them to do so. I would ask around and visit a ped based on word of mouth.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

No idea, as I've never had the opportunity to choose a pediatrician (lovely military insurance), but I would certainly look for a doctor that lines up with our beliefs, has a good manner, and nothing ridiculous in their practice (such as no bathrooms -- that's inexcusable to me). I would be willing to drive a bit more to have a pediatrician that I loved.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:49 AM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm in the no-bathroom is a deal breaker camp. The other stuff is minor but a bathroom is a must.

As to how we actually found our doctor, word of mouth. We used to selectively/delay vax, now we don't vax. We don't want someone who will jump to antibiotics or other meds, or is quick to diagnose things like ADD if you kiddo is a little out of line one day. I wanted someone who actually listened to me and didn't talk to me like I'm stupid. The doctor we landed on is AMAZING. Like, perfect. Except for the drive. He's like 40 minutes away, but worth it. If your appointment is at 9, they ask that you are there by 8:50 because you WILL be done with the nurse and sitting in the room at 9, and the doctor will stroll in right on time. I have had him be late 1 time, and it was only 5 minutes. He flat out told me that a lot of common medical practices are not based on solid research. He doesn't care that we don't do vaccinations, listens to us, and respects us. He is awesome! And on a personal note, he is also Christian, they cloth diapered their children, they homeschool, and he delivered all his babies at home.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #9
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I'm in the no-bathroom is a deal breaker camp. The other stuff is minor but a bathroom is a must.

As to how we actually found our doctor, word of mouth. We used to selectively/delay vax, now we don't vax. We don't want someone who will jump to antibiotics or other meds, or is quick to diagnose things like ADD if you kiddo is a little out of line one day. I wanted someone who actually listened to me and didn't talk to me like I'm stupid. The doctor we landed on is AMAZING. Like, perfect. Except for the drive. He's like 40 minutes away, but worth it. If your appointment is at 9, they ask that you are there by 8:50 because you WILL be done with the nurse and sitting in the room at 9, and the doctor will stroll in right on time. I have had him be late 1 time, and it was only 5 minutes. He flat out told me that a lot of common medical practices are not based on solid research. He doesn't care that we don't do vaccinations, listens to us, and respects us. He is awesome! And on a personal note, he is also Christian, they cloth diapered their children, they homeschool, and he delivered all his babies at home.
That sounds like an awesome doctor! I would LOVE to find a ped like that.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, see, I need someone who lives around here to tell me which doctors they love.

Chirpy is right, this doctor is nice, but I have no attachment to her. I don't love her.

I feel like they must have bathrooms for urine samples, but maybe only in the back?

I live in the city, so although I currently drive 5 min to the doctor, I would be ok with going farther. This convenience is nice but I know there are probably plenty of other great doctors only slightly farther away. I just don't know HOW to find them.