Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #11
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Child spacing opinions/experiences?

DH and I are starting to get the baby fever too (DS will be 1 in 2 weeks) so we've been reading up on it. Have you seen the studies that show that medically speaking you should wait 18 mos? I'm not saying I entirely believe them - I'm a scientist by trade, so I've read some of the studies and I think they've built some buffer into the "18 months" timeline, but there ARE studies that show your risk of low birth weight, premature birth, and small for gestational age increase with closer pregnancies and also with pregnancies more than 5 yrs apart. There are also some newer studies being done that seem to show the risk of autism may increase in pregnancies closer than 12 mos, but I would say these are still not definitive, and the risk of autism is still quite low. Anyway, ultimately it's up to you and how close you want your kids, but you could also weigh the above risks into your decision.

DH and I are both over 30 and DH wants a lot of kids (I may hold him back a bit, but 5 is not unreasonable to me and may be good enough for him), so we can't really afford to wait the recommended 18 mos between pregnancies or I'll be having babies well into my 40s. Based on our research, I'm comfortable with the risks of 12 months (personal opinion here, NOT real medical advice!!!) instead of 18, and I think that will allow us to be finished with kids by my early 40s at the latest. If I were you I would factor in how many kids you may want and how old you are/will be.

Advertisement

Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote