Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #11
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Spelling her name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
They are pretty much equally difficult to change. But I stumped what to put down on stuff in the mean time. For example, I have been stalling signing her up for 4-H because I don't know which way to spell it in the system--whatever I choose will follow her all of her years in 4-H (the next 13 years). Stuff like that. She is in the system as Elise virtually everywhere (insurance, church, dentist, doctor, etc) but I'm really drawn to the other spelling because of the Elsie/Ellie issue.

Does she normally display maturity? Like is she a reasonably mature child? I would give her more of a vote if she is.

Advertisement

MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I would change it to the Elyse spelling. It is what she is drawn to, it is how people tend to spell her name, and so I would go with that one. As for the Baptism certificate and blanket and whatnot, that is easily explained when she gets older, if you don't want to go through the hassle of changing it all.

This makes a lot of sense.
And it has lovely connotations for you as well, Melinda. Any particular reason you chose the Elise spelling originally?
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #13
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

I would stick with Elise, as you had on her original birth certificate.

Birth certificate is a state document.
Social Security card is a federal document.

Social Security (SS) often deals with name changes, mostly from marriages/divorces, so it's a very simple process and can be done in person at a local office. You can update your SS card anytime a change happens.

The "Vital Records" department of your state will have one of two approaches to handling changes to birth certificates.
1) The original birth certificate (OBC) is not changed. However, an amended birth certificate (ABC) is issued. Your child would than have the OBC and appended document. Essentially, now you have a two-page BC, and the original birth certificate with your old name will still remain on record.
2) Others states opt to change the BC itself.
So, make sure you know your state's process before pursuing your choice.

In the past, ABCs have not provided proof of citizenship for passports or renewals. This could be a challenge in years to come as documents and requirements change from time to time for drivers license, state ID, government agencies, schools, etc. The general issue being much like the current drivers license debacle, where IDs from certain states are no longer legal as proof of ID at airports. In short, state governments do not always update their documents quick enough to accommodate new federal government requirements.

As added perspective, we all have encountered 'that policy-trained worker' who doesn't understand why your paperwork is different, refuses to accept a rational answer, can't manage to understand it IS the SAME THING until a manager gets involved, and makes you want to tear your hair out. A birth certificate amendment is essentially that, but foreverrrrr! (Ask anyone adopted!)

As for your 5yo DD, she can write it which ever she likes really, but I'd lean toward showing her the actual OBC and just correcting her on how she spells it. And if both you and she agree she can write it anyway she likes, then there's no difference until she's old enough to sign legally binding documents.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #14
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's actually easier to change a social security card than a birth certificate. I had to do it once. I'd change the SS card. Call your local office and/or go down there. It may take a couple trips but it's definitely the easier way to go IMO.
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #15
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkify View Post
It's actually easier to change a social security card than a birth certificate. I had to do it once. I'd change the SS card. Call your local office and/or go down there. It may take a couple trips but it's definitely the easier way to go IMO.
Sadly, I've already got experience doing both . We changed YDS's name when he was a baby, so we had to do both the BC and SS card then. In our state anyway, the process is nearly identical. I would have to drive two hours to change the SS card with the documents, but I can mail in the BC stuff. Still don't know what to do...

HugeBabyBoy--the Amended Birth Certificate we got for YDS is identical to his original birth certificate, but with the new name. So we essentially have two Original Birth Certificates for him. Plus two SS cards, because they never took the first one back. So we could theoretically use either name now

Last edited by Melinda29; 04-21-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #16
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
This makes a lot of sense.
And it has lovely connotations for you as well, Melinda. Any particular reason you chose the Elise spelling originally?
I didn't know there was any other spelling at the time. Of the two, I prefer Elise. But I do really like how Elyse doesn't get mistaken for Elsie, so if I had to do it all over, I think I would have spelled it that way...
Old 04-21-2017, 11:15 PM   #17
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I didn't know there was any other spelling at the time. Of the two, I prefer Elise. But I do really like how Elyse doesn't get mistaken for Elsie, so if I had to do it all over, I think I would have spelled it that way...

I just can't fathom people automatically thinking "Elsie" instead of "Elise." Crazy.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:29 AM   #18
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I accidentally misspelled DD1's middle name, Moonlilly with two l's instead of the correct spelling Moonlily, it kind of bugs me but I don't want to bother with the expense of fixing it.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #19
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I just can't fathom people automatically thinking "Elsie" instead of "Elise." Crazy.
I think they see the first part of the name and their minds automatically go to the most common name with those letters. My entire life I have been called Melissa, because Melinda is so uncommon. Even here online, people have quoted me and then written, "Melissa, I agree/disagree with your comment..." People just don't pay attention to what they are reading.

Last edited by Melinda29; 05-01-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #20
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I think they see the first part of the name and their minds automatically go to the most common name with those letters. Elsie is a lot more common name than Elise, and the names have all the same letters, just in a different order. My entire life I have been called Melissa, because Melinda is so uncommon. Even here online, people have quoted me and then written, "Melissa, I agree/disagree with your comment..." People just don't pay attention to what they are reading.

See that's the funny part to me. Elsie is NOT a common name here, but Elise is.

I understand, though. My friend, Bethany, is always called Brittany. Like when people read my name "Rachael" and then write it "Rachel." ???

Melinda is more common here than Melissa, but they are both found here.